Drawing a scroll

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
So I can cut a scroll that's been laid out for me but I am struggling to draw my own.

Can someone tell me what sort of black magic is used to do this?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
X3 on Sam's DVD, then get Ron Smith's books they help as well...then study leaf formations and leaf curls, folds, and shading of others. The last thing AND SINGULARLY the MOST important thing is to DRAW DRAW DRAW. I tried to get around this in the beginning because I wanted to cut!!! I didn't want to pay my dues. I just felt I could do this on the fly like the experienced engravers. I learned this lesson AFTER I started a rather expensive project piece and TOTALLY ruined it. That was years ago. But the lesson did make me open my eyes and I am a better artist for it now.

DRAW DRAW DRAW....it will make you. I promise.

Donny

mrthe

No Black magic,but practice,practice and practice drawing it will help you ,only you have to study the fundamentals of the scrolls and how build it,i haven't the Sam drawing scroll DVD but i'm sure that is fantastic and will help you a lot.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's one of the hardest things to learn well. And I'll agree with the others. Only by practice can you really get a feel for it. A cirlcle template and an oval template can give you a bit of help in forming the initial scroll. This from Sam help me immensely: http://igraver.com/goldenmean.shtml,
Then, more practice, and some more.
Layne

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with the others about practice practice and practice, video, books the Café, the other forum, mother nature, architecture and more.
It is not Black magic, but sure you will feel the magic when you start understanding what you see when looking at a nice scroll design.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors