Dot background question

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey all, I have a question about doing a dot background. A buddy who shoots cowboy action wants a bracelet for his wife with some "old timey" look to it. So I have done my attempt at Nimcshke scroll, but I have never tried to do a dot background, so any pointers would be appreciated. I've tried some test pieces and it's not as easy as one might think. If I try it under the scope, even with the vise tilted, I just can't seem to see what I'm doing and keep my hands out of the way.

Thanks

JJ Roberts

thughes.When doing the dot punch background the dots must be right next to each other,not over lapping.I start working away from myself so I can see were to place the next dot,I don't use a scope, take your time,hope this of help to you. J.J.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes JJ that is the way I do it too, better a bit more space than overlapping, but you also can make corrections if you overlap

arnaud

thughes

Thanks guys for the input. Yeah, that's what I meant about not as easy as it seems. One overlap and it looks like crap. I'm thinking that maby if I use the optivisor like bethard suggested, and put my vise up on something so it will be at eye level. And going away from myself has got to be better, thanks.

Todd

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Todd, if you first remove the back ground using a square graver and run it in two directions at 90*,then use your dot punch,the metal will gather instead of displacing and you will end up with nice little beads right next to each other without mushing metal out at the edges.

thughes

Dave, thanks, that's one of those big forehead slap " why didn't i think of that" type of moments right there. I can't wait to try that.

Todd

monk

Staff member
using a .5x objective, you have to find the "sweet way" for yourself. you could also go to a .6x objective giving you even more room for hand clearance. this will reduce the power, but you can use occulars of 12 or 15x. this will not change the workin clearance, just give you a larger image. this all assuming you don't already have the .5x installed. not too pricey on ebay.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ground away some of the metal around the punch in order to see where it would be placed. Not too close to the business end, but enough to provide "optical clearance."

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors