Doodling with Airtact

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I received a near-production model Airtact last week and have really been enjoying the experience. It offers absolute control. This scroll was cut with a Monarch handpiece with knob touch element.

Magnus Jensen

In the time of waiting.

Lucky you, I can´t hardly wait for mine.
Yea.. who am I kidding there is nothing to do but wait, they said 2-4 months!
I trust your words about the fine control, the pictures says nothing since you are able to achieve this kind of engraving with a screw-driver!:)
Tell us more about the feeling and how it behaves, like for examples how is it to take away the "chips" in the end of a cut?
Is the feeling close to hand push?
Please give me something to cling on to while waiting!

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
Doodle HA
Most would give their left gem to doodle like that:) I wished I lived closer I'd be going through your garbage.
But seriously I don't see where there is any evidence of a struggle in that scroll. Granted I know your skill is phenomenal, but the bad press the airtact is getting I would expect even you would have a hard time with control. I don't see anything that resembles loss of control in that scroll. It looks as superb as any thing else you would do. Also that is a tiny little thing meaning even a more fine tuned hand piece would be needed for such accuracy, I believe. Did you use it on the back of the handle? I think I would like it more as a finger switch, using my ring finger. Have you tried it that way?
Mike

Keone

Is Airtact an attachment or a standalone unit like for instance the gravermax?
I mean a new system with new control abilities? or a add on?

Danny

Sam

Staff member
Magnus: Yes, chips can be snapped off cleanly. The touch element in the knob is located in such a way that you can easily change the way the tool operates by changing your grip. It behaves very predictably and feels completely natural to me. I'm not sure it can be compared to hand-push. It still feels like a handpiece, but the control is absolutely fantastic.

Mike: There was no struggle with the scroll. The handpiece has wonderful control. You are correct that the smaller and finer the work the more control is required. Yes, I used the knob touch element. I've not done much with the finger element yet...I'm enjoying the knob element at this time.

Airtact did get some unfavorable reviews. Such is life. No one can name a tool that hasn't gotten unfavorable comments (does anyone remember the anger engravers expressed over the first pneumatic tools in the '70s? It was ugly). The bottom line is use the tool that suits you best. I'd never try to talk a customer into an engraving job he didn't want, and I wouldn't try to push an engraver to a tool simply because I happen to like it. I state the facts as they apply to me. On my bench and in my hands Airtact is one awesome, highly controllable piece of engraving equipment. / ~Sam

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't wish to hijack Sam's thread but having just tried it I can vouch that there should never be any bad press for Airtact. It's a superb piece of equipment that feels entirely natural and behaves in a natural way. Any one that's ever hand pushed will find this a fabulous bit of kit as it's just like having an extention to yur fingers. Chips are easily removed Magnus. I like it because I can get the exact cut for English fine scroll as hand pushing. I can get this with the foot pedal too but it's not a natural feeling. It feels as if you are hand pushing but with assistance so training muscle memory just isn't necessary. It's pick up the graver and away you go.

Danny, at the moment the Airtact is designed as a retro fit for any GraverMax or Mach but I think GRS are planning future development of a stand alone unit. It's just there are so many Maxs and Machs out there that Glendo don't feel it's right to force people to buy a totally new unit when all they have to do is literally replace the foot pedal with the Airtact at a fraction of the price.

Like Sam says, it's up to the individual what tools they use but like him in my hands I love what I can achieve with it.

Last edited:

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Can you update me on the airtact, I have the monarch with a gravermach, is it a new handpiece or just an retro fit to the monarch?
When I was in Reno, the GRS booth was too crowded so I didn't get a chance to try the new stuff.
Thanks
Rick

Sam

Staff member
Rick: It's a retrofit for your Gravermach. Check out Airtact.com for more info and email me if you need to.
Regards / ~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors