Don Glaser

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I just read on the GRS page that Ron Glaser passed away. I've been studying his engraving tapes for six months now... It kinda came as a shock.... It's almost like I knew him. When did he move on?

Thanks,
Dennis

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don Glaser (Sr.) passed away about 2 years ago. Not only was he quite an innovator but truly just a great man.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don, who was the current president of GRS DJ Glaser's father, passed away some time ago. At least a few years ago. I read about him on the GRS Website. He was quite an accomplished man to say the least.

Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Quote by Sam............
Don would have really enjoyed this forum.

He sure would have enjoyed the Cafe, Sam.
And would have added some of his Tennessee Ernie Ford like zingers here and there.
Sure miss seeing the twinkle he usually had in his eyes.

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don Glaser was a very gracious man. This is a picture of Lee griffith, myself and DJ Glaser looking over his shoulder in Dons' basement studio.
A little later we went upstairs for " hobo stew".
He would always want to come into my classes to demonstrate some western engraving, and would ask many questions about my time at Gist engravers and other western shops.
He always expressed an interest in anyones engraving work, and would say " Isn't the world a better place with more beautiful things in it?".

M

mcrapo

Barry

Thanks for sharing that great photo of Don. I never got the chance to meet the man, and wish that I would have had the chance. It is great to see his workshop, and to hear about him. Him and Mr. Meek are two people I wish I had the change to meet.

Mike

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
One of the most precious things in my studio is a plate that Don cut as a demo during a class that Lee was teaching. He was a great man and though I didn't get to know him as well as I would have liked I still miss him dearly.
David

Great pic Barry.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,
This is a picture with Don in class, that I took form Sam's class back in 2002. Sam had hair when I took the class, so I hope this doesn't date me to much.

Top row, Payson Cooper, Sam's Assistant, Sam Alfano, Arry Russel, Changjun Cai
Bottom Row, Antenor Perez, Don Glaser, Rich Hambrook.

Don came around to see how thing were going in the class. He showed us his shop for making all the tools. He even took me out for
dinner with another student. I was really impressed by what he was showing us and what he knew. He was one heck of a guy.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I had the pleasure of meeting Don at a NRA Convention in Philadelphia in the late 70's. As I remember there was only a Graver Miester at the GRS booth, and of course those large handpieces. Things have certainly improved over the years. The staff and the technicians at GRS have been very helpful to me over the years also. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Austin,
Yes, that is Changjun Cai. He was the other engrave that Don took out to dinner. A really nice guy from Honolulu,Hawaii.
He brought a knife that was really well done. I think it had a ivory handle and figure of a Chinese Empress.
He was an interesting guy to talk to and an excellent engraver.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member

October 20, 2001 - Don took my flying in his Citabria on this fall morning. We searched for a heard of antelope which had been transplanted in that area of Kansas. We never found the antelope, but it didn't stop us from having a great time looking for them. I was behind him armed with a Sony Mavica digital camera which saved images to a floppy disk. / ~Sam

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tim: I like the title, but I doubt Don would! He never thought of himself as a master, and was a very humble man. I often referred to him as the 'father of modern hand engraving'.

Latest posts

Sponsors