Question: Does the more expensive jewel have to look better?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a couple of wedding rings I just finished. I already executed these a several times.

Now this time I had an idea to make them more a pair by cutting 3 lines in the male version.

And by looking at them now, the male version is my favourite. It has no diamonds so it is less expensive, but it is basically the same design. But it is stronger and better looking.

I agree woman always need diamonds, even if it is just for me being able to pay the bills. :biggrin:

I have seen expensive rings with over 3 carat stones in it, that I had compassion with that stone.

Your opinion please

arnaud

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The one with diamonds without a doubt looks richer and classier. The other looks like what it is, a wedding band with 3 curved lines. Not very appealing, unless it represents a personal thing.

Mike Frakes

Arnauad,

I am not much of a jewelry person but I think thes are are very clean and fresh looking and I like the fact that the addition of the lines makes them a pair. Great work.

Mike

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I do like the one with the diamonds better, but agree that the lines make them more of a pair. Is it possible in titanium to make the lines on the man's ring the same width as the ladies, and bright cut to look like diamonds? I do similar things with sets, but mostly in gold.
It's a very nice looking set! I'm so tempted to start working in Titanium, but have so many other projects on my plate that I hesitate to start down a new street. Maybe later!

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I`d probably add another line or two to the male one & extend the lines to the edge abit more.
I don`t think men generally want stones in their rings anyway.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The one with diamonds without a doubt looks richer and classier. The other looks like what it is, a wedding band with 3 curved lines.
Female rings should always have a smooth skin and a lot of bling. A male ring can have some wrinkles in it, but it should always have 2 stones. ;)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
In my opinion, this is a successful pair of rings when they are shown together. However, without the man's ring shown next to the ladies' ring, its simple lines wouldn't be nearly as effective. But next to each other, they harmonize well.

gantzi

Hi, I like the idea of having the woman's diamonds design in the man's ring as engeaving.
I agree with some of the of the members that the engraving needs to be more prominant or with more elements since by itself it looks a little empty.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

This has no reflection on your work but I showed your design to my wife Linda and she was not impressed by the simplicity, too basic, and what is overlooked is the fact that when wearing the rings for just a few hours the rings turn and the design is lost!

Maybe a few more runs of diamonds spread evenly around the ring?

Phil

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, yes I know a wedding ring should not have a top, it should be 360° top. Thing is that not all my customers can afford that these days.

Guy, yes you could be right having the engraving more prominent on a male one. Perhaps I will add some more cuts.

Sam, thanks for your opinion, I like the simplicity too. I will show some I'm working on that will reflect simplicity. That doesn't mean we all have to like it, but it is a way exploring things.

DKanger, I don't agree on the bling factor, as to me that is just a temporary fashion. And that changes during time. It was fashion some years ago, and woman still like diamonds, but any more the 'bling way' as it was 5 years ago. Same with yellow or white gold, I have seen both being the most popular during my 35 career years. And if I talk as a business man, yes all people should have 2 rings on each finger and full of diamonds.

Chris, indeed over here it is not common a male wedding ring is set with diamonds, I do some when it is a marriage of two men.

Thanks Mike and Mike

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will be looking for a better example to make my point more clear.
The point is just that a more expensive jewel should look greater than a cheaper one, but I've seen lots that show the opposite.
Yes could be my taste only, perhaps others too.
So I will look for some better to compare.

And of course one could think that the most expensive one has a big diamond set in it, but couldn't it be, a jewel without big diamonds, but with a great design, looks better? even when it it cheaper?

arnaud

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Agreed. In fact a poor choice of setting and the diamonds could ruin a perfectly good piece.
Same with a high polish, tho that is a spot where I will compromise to some degree.

Ps. Teasing before.

Latest posts

Sponsors