DIY synclastic forming pliers

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Mostly because I wanted to try some, but wasn't sure how much use they'd be.

Simply take....

1 pair of cheap pliers, 2 ball bearings of suitable size, a small piece of sheet brass (or 1/16 steel, whatever) and a lump of Polymorph or possibly even Thermoloc.

Grind out the inside of the jaws of the pliers until there is enough room to install the ball bearing & plate without the jaws being fully open. Centre punch & drill the top jaw to give a starting hole, then carve the inside of the jaw with carbide burrs to give a hemispherical depression to take the bearing. Braze the ball bearing into the top jaw and the sheet to the bottom jaw - I used Easy-Flo; I doubt it's critical so long as it sticks. Once everything has cooled off & is clean, polish the ball bearing, then soften a small lump of Polymorph and plonk it on the bottom sheet; squish the pliers onto the soft plastic, then take the other ball bearing & form a gradual channel in the plastic either side of the jaws. Let it cool, then form a strip of copper into a nice synclastic form...

I've made up a pair that handles about 1/2" sheet as that was what I had handy in ball bearings; I'll probably clean up a piece of formed copper so that it is smooth, then use that as a former to redo the lower jaw.

Last edited:

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Finn,
This might help.

This is the largest I have in a group of six of this type.
Jim

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You'll have to excuse a "gun guy" but I have to ask what these are used for?
I assume it's a "jewelry thing"?

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Turning up bracelets. You get the proper arch and you can get the metal into a nice oval shape.

Last edited:

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
This might help.

Those are much snazzier than my dubious version - I'll probably use mine to gauge whether it's worth my buying the commercial variety or not.

Surprised to see the upper half-ball is brazed onto the jaw - I'd assumed they were cast.

Latest posts

Sponsors