DIY pneumatic graver on a budget

Hello all,
Im starting this thread to motivate people like me (who want to try out pneumatic engraving but fear the, especially in europe, hefty monetary investment).
This graver is mostly made from trashyard materials, but still has its fancy elements like a teflon sleeved piston, 120 degree division air in- and outlets to adjustable stroke lenght via a m12x1 thread as well as airflow regulation.
I just finished this 2nd gen version, but for now it seems to work very nicely(in my opinion, but by now i have spent more time making engraving tools than actually engraving, so im a complete beginner)

20240117_162344.jpg
20240113_164348.jpg
i did not draw proper plans for it yet, but ill update this thread once they are completed so that people who want to have a go on their own have a basis for a good headstart.

Have a good one

Tdahl

Wow. That looks really nice. I can't wait to see your drawings. It must have been quite the adventure designing and developing the prototype.

Nice work!
I suppose it works on push/pull air system ?
Could you explain a bit what the two brown/ black rings are for?
Also the weight of the piston would be interesting to know ( I use brass pistons ranging from 4 to 12g).
Cheers!
Yes its a fully pneumatic construction
....the upper ring is for air supply, it has an inner grove allowing the air to enter the chamber from all sides (i have 3 holes diveded by 120deg on this one...this division is also true for the exit ports of the piston, im my imagination this makes the movement more stable but I have no way of verifying this
The lower ring is for exhaust restriction...you can adjust it independently from the nut in the frond which solely adjusts stroke lenght

Latest posts

Sponsors