Announcement: Divider/scribe 8 bucks

mrthe

Personally i think that is not a good idea buy a cheap dividers , when i go to my local Jewellers tools store to buy one i have to check personally 15/20 dividers before find a decent one ( and are the good ones not cheap), because a lot if time the legs don't close well or have others defects on it, take care a lot of times buy cheap is buy twice expecially in this type of thing where you need precision ;)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've never seen a cheap pair of dividers that were any good. A good set of Starretts will run $40-$50 and they're worth every penny as they are heirloom quality tools. The cheap dividers I've tried have legs that wobble, ridiculously strong springs, and were clunky and junky and inaccurate.

We tried the cheapies on all the benches at the GRS training center for awhile, and finally replaced them with Starrett dividers.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Being able to easily make accurate layout is crucial to quality work in engraving and stone setting. The starrett dividers are the best. You won't regret buying them.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
Well the divider came today.. Initial opinion is pretty good. Spring tension is nice. Opens an tracks smoothly, but the metal feels funny.. Hard to describe but pot metal comes to mind. Maybe after more use I can tell more but for $8 to my door i won't loose sleep if its junk

Sam

Staff member
You normally have to dress the points on them as they're usually too blunt for precision layouts. Glad to hear the spring isn't too stiff. That was a deal breaker on a lot of the cheapies I tested.

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member

Thats the best my iPhone can conjure up

Paul Russell

The dividers you have there look to be the same as mine. The problem with mine is when I'm doing smaller circles on steel, and some brass, they want to twist on me if I put any pressure on them. Also they don't want to stay sharp.
Good luck with them, but I'm wanting some Starrets personally. (here in Aus. they want $150.00 + for 3" Starrets but)
Cheers, Paul.

Sam

Staff member
Mine are second hand. Starrett 2", one 3", and one 2" by Consolidated Tool which is my favorite pair a friend gave me.

bblake

Who, out of interest, is asking $150 for a pair of Starrett dividers? I can't believe they've ever sold a pair. Starrett are not the only game in town either. When I started in jewellery over 20 years ago, we were told to buy German dividers. I have several pairs and Starretts and all are good. Any of the supply houses in Australia sell good German dividers and not for $150 or anything like it. If Starretts are a requirement they are readily available online for around forty bucks delivered.