Diiamond Spray Versus Oil of Wintergreen?

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use oil of wintergreen as carrier of my rouge when polishing my jewelry pieces. It works great, smells, and is a little messy. Do you think the diamond spray would be a better more effective carrier for a high polish. I know it's used for the ceramic on the powerhone for producing a high polish by itself without rough. Could I use it alone on the flexshaft with the buffs to receive the same high polish?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This isn't answering your question, but after accidentally tipping over a bottle of oil of wintergreen on my bench, I swore I'd never have in my studio again. The smell lingered for weeks and I gag whenever I think about it. I never did see a benefit to using it over any other light oil for graver lube.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I've written over a dozen times on this stuff... in short - it's poisonous and will blind you if you get it in your eye. Look up the MSDS

A student of mine - whose day job was analysing/inventing lubricants for a living - once told told me that spit or snot would be a more effective "lubricant" than oil of wintergreen!

It has no place in the shop, unless perhaps you actually like the stench.

My preference (it's raining today) is for Eau de Wet Dogs...

Brian

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Give baby oil a try. I have been using it for polishing with stones and diluting lapping compounds for a very long time. Works better then anything. Smells good. ;) And keeps your hands soft as a babies behind. :rolleyes: Put the amount of rouge (lapping compound) you want to use in a small cup. Add a drop of baby oil and mix. Keep this up till you reach the consistency you are looking for. Dip your polishing fob in the mix and give it a try. Experiment and you will find what works for you and your rouge. :tiphat:
Sandy

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sandy,
What I want to know is why you had baby oil around in the cabinet to try that in the first place!!
:)

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Rex,
Well.....:thinking:
Hummmmmm
Well .....::shock:
Got married. Had a kid. After that I have been broke. Need is the mother of invention. :rolleyes:
:tiphat:
Sandy.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seems to apply better with a small amount of oil and not get caked on the piece. Produces a more effective polish.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I use "Pam" cooking spray instead of wintergreen. It works basically the same without the toxic potential of wintergreen. I started out with wintergreen, then used W-D 40 for some years and a couple years ago switched to Pam. Nothing toxic about it and if you like movie theater popcorn the smell will make you feel at home.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you have ever sprayed WD40 on a piece of equipment or delicate machine part (bearings) and come back to it 5 years later - you will be cured.

It turns into something quite like varnish over time.

This stuff too - was NEVER intended to be a "lubricant"! Look it up!

WD40 = WATER DISPLACEMENT 40th formula.

Military used it to dry off equipment that was exposed to water....

Brian

Latest posts

Sponsors