Die Struck Forgeries

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
as i tell people- if somebody made it once, somebody can make it again...

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's a really nice book that came up in a thread a couple of years ago called 'Numismatic Forgeries' that goes into detail on these processes.

It's good for us because it tells you how to go about making your own coins, if you're so inclined. Well, not 'coins' so much as 'tokens'.

One of the things on my list of 'stuff I need to get around to doing' is to make a little hammer struck coin press and a pair of dies. I'm thinking of one that folds over and clamps enough to hold things in place so it's easy to whack with a small sledge.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
That web site is run by Robert Kokotailo, a very knowledgeable man in ancient coin circles. Steve, the hinged dies most likely were used for lead seals, not coins. I've tried that method and all it takes is one off center hammer strike and your die alignment is shot. The hammer striking jig in "Numismatic Forgery" works great, I made one 4 years ago and have used it at the ANA summer seminars for the last two years with dozens of students smacking it. Attached is my newest coin striking jig. Its a number 10 screw press, about 2,000 pounds of medieval coin striking fun!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, I oversimplified a bit - I mean the hammer striking set from the book. While the whole thing is hinged, the die itself isn't.

gtsport, could you post a picture of yours? That would explain it a lot better than the muddle I'm making of it.

Latest posts

Sponsors