Design, thanks to Ron's books

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron's books are sure that where I was looking for.
Inventing the scroll on my own would take to much time. :D
Sure I know how to handle pencils, but understanding the scrolls I like to engrave was something different.
Although the world is full of scrolls, I realised that only studying them would help to reproduce them.
The tutorial " drawing for beginners" off Andrew Bigs helped at first, Ron's books made me understand the lines, structure, balance and emotion of the scroll.

This also means that when I see now at a beautiful engraving, the magic of it seems to disappear.
But sure this will not stop me from making designs.

Here is one I learned from Ron's books, and I know there are areas that needs attention.

But I only want to share my experience and progress.

arnaud

Attachments

• rarno1.jpg
    rarno1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 273

Andrew Biggs

Hi Arnaud

I love your enthusiasm!!!! :)

A suggestion with your scroll..............don't overshade to the point that you start losing the shapes. Pull back a bit and let a bit more white space show to allow for contrast.

Sometimes less is more :)

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, you are right, but I didn't take much time on the shading, more on the design.
The shading can be done in a 100 different ways, that was not my point. The one on the left is the design.
If I want to engrave it I will take more time.
Sure there has to be balance between the whites greys and blacks, I know :D
But thank for your support

arnaud

Kerry Bogan

Hi Arnaud. That is a nice design and looks very accurate. I've been doing the same thing with Ron's lessons. I keep going back to his book and getting more out of it, I'm not an artist but he certainly helps.
Kerry

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Only design is of course not the goal, so I have done this on a metal box to practice.
Shading is still hard, I think as Andrew said, less is more

arnaud

Attachments

• _DSC6233.jpg
    _DSC6233.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 145

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your scrolls and designs are really nice Arnaud. I constantly look at engraving such as Sam's shading tutorials and Steve Lindsay's YouTube videos to improve my shading.

I have also had a tendancy towards overshading and ending up with dark blobs.

You draw VERY well.

Peter

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Peter,
Consistent shading is very important as you change intensity with it. It needs to be uniform and consistant over the composition unless you intend to highlight something.

Arnaud, your shading is excellent in technique. Consistent intensity will come with developing rythum and just a little more practice. I would say this is very well done both in design and execution. it only varies a little in intensity.

Bravo!!

Ron S

catnip

Peter, you have sorted it for me. I've been struggling for months, trying to correct hairline curves, and I have now achieved it within the last ten minutes, thanks to your direction to Steve Lindsay's video's on you tube...... Must get myself an engraving block. Tony

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kerry,

I realize that there are those with more natural tendencies, but I hate to hear someone say they are not an artist. I have found that you develope what you become interested in. What you need, you can learn, and then the artistry in you comes out.

What do you think?

Ron S

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Daniel, leuk hier iemand uit mijn buurt te vinden met dezelfde bezigheden. (ik spreek je nog wel)
Thanks for the compliment Daniel, nice to meet someone from my neighbourhood with the same occupations.

Thanks Ron, I'll keep on rocking :D

Peter, yes I've seen them all, but practising is the key to better skills once you know where you're going to.

arnaud

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
i really like the flow of your design. that book is really great. i read it over and over and each time i get more out of it.

Kerry Bogan

Ron I agree. There are very few talented people that inherited that talent, they worked hard for it. Drawing, music, painting, science, language etc. can all be learned with work and practice. Practice and commitment probably counts for more than anything.
Kerry

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually talent isn't nearly as big a deal as most people think.

I am, without being immodest, talented in quite a number of areas so I know it can be as much of a hinderance as a help.

See, all talent means is that I'm better than someone else with similar training and practice. That's the key you see.

Talent just gives you a leg up on getting started. It's skill that counts.

Skills are only acquired through practice and sometimes when you have talent you find you don't practice something as much as you should so you never develop any skill.

Now those who have talent and the passion to develop skills - those people are the ones to admire!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some of the opinions expressed in this thread remind me of a quote.

I don't recall the origin, but a pool player was being interviewed after a match in which he benefitted from a good roll (aka "luck"). When asked about it, his reply was "funny thing about luck....the more I practice, the luckier I get".

Peter

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Allow me to share this bit of trivia, and this keeps me going.

"The Master of any are those who commit themselves to the difficult"

"Author Unknown"

Cheers

"VAN"

Latest posts

Sponsors