Critique Request Design Practice Plate

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
I usually do Bright Cut silver work but have been intrigued by some of the older Gun Scroll artists (Nimscke). This is my second attempt to fill a space with gun scrolls. Am I on the right track here or should I stick to the silver?

Any advice welcomed

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 293

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, i think you're getting there.i think the scroll (lower right) is coming out at a too-steep angle. it should flow or "grow" out of its' parent leaf in a more graceful fashion. i also think a bit of a border is needed. personally, i don't like the design coming to the very edge where it can just "fall off" the side of the work. i think you have an understanding of scroll. it can beautifully fit into any weird shape or unusual design. it all begins with designing the primary spines for a pleasant look where you put it. if the main spines fit well, it's all the easier to go back and add the leaves, tendrils, and such. as far as "just sticking to silver". why do that ? the more and varied design you can handle, well that sort of speaks for itsself. besides, it is just plain fun to experiment.

Last edited:

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Monk, the line around the design is what I intended to cut as a border, and I had thought of dot punching the background.

I had intended the scroll you noted to have looked like it was crossing through the main scroll, not coming off it. I will work on that some more.

Thanks again for your help, I will post any changes as they come.

Ty

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
The design looks quite nice to me. Couple of your scrolls look a bit stiff, the one Monk mentioned and the one going trough the screw, it seams to be a bit straight at the beginning.
I am no expert on the scrolls.

Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Ty,
You look as if you are mostly on the right track.
One thing to take a look at is to not have your scroll baclbone stems look so skinny where they start.
Take a look how LDN starts his scrolls.
Best.

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Peter, I will change the angle on the one coming from the screw and see how it looks, I will try something different with the crossed scroll, maybe give it an end to define the start of it.

Thanks for your time John, I will head back to the books and take more notice of the beginning of the scrolls. Ty

Last edited:

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Ty I am no expert and I am learning scrolls myself so I won't make any suggestions. I will just give you my first thoughts when I looked at your design. The center scroll originating from the center screw looks unbalanced to me. If you are going to put anything on the shield I think that it will look crouded. The cross over scroll at the lower right does not appear natural to me. Looking at others scrolls on this site helps me a bunch as it seems when I look at my own it is hard to see where improvements are needed. I am going to have to start posting some designs for comments myself. Thanks so much for sharing.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Ty

You are developing good pencil skills which is pleasing to see.

I've attached a couple of suggestions. for you to look at. The first is a couple of things that hit me right away looking at your drawing. The second is a suggested way of fixing it that may or may not work for you.

As usual, these things are just my ideas and others will think differently.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Tyg-1.jpg
    Tyg-1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Tyg-2.jpg
    Tyg-2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 89

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Next attempt

Getting warmer? I am trying to keep this a bit simple especially if I am going to cut it. I am also worried about scrolls growing larger from slightly smaller ones. Thanks in advance for you comments, Ty

Attachments

• Attempt 3.jpg
    Attempt 3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 69

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Ty,
Has the shield got to be in that position?
And must it be surrounded by the large originating scroll?
How about the shield there without the scroll and bringing the scrolls off the holes, from behind the shield or off a surrounding edge line border?
Just some other thoughts.
Best.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Ty

John is right, there is a big gap there that would be hard to fill.................and I can see that I have lead you astray a bit with that because you are just following what I suggested.

Something to think about when altering drawings.

One thing has an effect on another. So if you have to alter one or two scrolls (or any other element of the drawing)...........sometimes you also have to alter everything around it to accommodate the changes. Sometimes it's just a bit of tweaking and other times its quite substantial changes that have to be made. Starting with another blank piece of paper can help considerably and start again making alterations as you go.

This is where thumbnail sketches are a great help. Thumbnail sketches are just small outlines of the canvas in which you roughly doodle quick ideas and play around with different elements/scrolls. They are rough and ready with only a few seconds on each one....this allows you to explore different ideas quickly and lets your imagination flow from one idea to another. After you start getting a "feel" for what is working and what isn't..........then move onto more detailed drawings.

Cheers
Andrew.

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Ah Ha! So to get revenge for years of being beaten in the cricket and Rugby League you thought you would put the Aussie on a bum steer. And I didn't even start with the sheep jokes yet. Lol.

I think I may go back and start over again, I had been using some design components from a photo of a rifle engraved by LDN some worked and some didn't. I feel confident to use the style but try some of my "flow".

John - I used the shield to fill the centre of the large scroll so the leaves kept in proportion with the smaller scrolls, Maybe I will do away with it and keep to smaller scrolls.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!!

Andrew Biggs

League!!! Only because you cheated...........Every Kiwi knows that to be true :)

As for the cricket.............well, we won't even go there as it's just too embarrasing for words. :eek:

But we are on top form for the Rugby world cup next year :yes

A very merry Christmas to you as well

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors