Critique Request Design critique please!

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have been drawing a lot more recently and did this over the past few days. Started on pencil and paper to get the rough idea down. Working with procreate I find it hard to get an idea on paper because I obsess over every line shape being perfect from the start. Once I had the rough outline I photographed and moved to the iPad for the shading and refinement.

I plan at some point to engrave a watch face, this would be a possible design.

Let me know your honest critique, I’m trying to get better with my designing. Haven’t touched my tools other than drawing implements in weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_0275.png
    IMG_0275.png
    424.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0276.png
    IMG_0276.png
    633.6 KB · Views: 71

Mike576

IMG_0285.png Here’s the drawing on the watch face I plan to engrave. Just a cheap tissot every time quartz. I have the watch already so I figure it’s good for practice. I’ll need to make a new metal dial face to engrave though which shouldn’t be a big issue on the lathe. I’ll have about 1.25 inches in diameter to work with.

Crowman80

I like that a lot, if the leaves flowed clockwise the hands would be stroking them in that direction? Please don’t take that the wrong way, it just immediately came into my mind .

Mike576

I like that a lot, if the leaves flowed clockwise the hands would be stroking them in that direction? Please don’t take that the wrong way, it just immediately came into my mind .
I hadn’t thought of that! Let me flip the design and see how that looks. I like the idea though. Thanks!

Mike576

I think I like it better this way what do you think? I also moved it to a new watch with a slightly larger dial face. Decided if I’m going to engrave a watch I should do it on a new nicer one vs a beat up old one.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.png
    IMG_0290.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 30

Mike576

IMG_1542.jpeg Did a test cut on a 1 inch diameter sterling silver pendant. The watch face is larger so I will be able to add more detail and shading.

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Something to consider would be an invisible border or some type of structure (something metering the time on the watch). I’d say the old rule goes if you have to question whether or not you add value to the item (in terms of item being engraved) then it’s not ready yet, but only you will know and then be willing to take the risk on your own or a clients watch.

Mike576

Something to consider would be an invisible border or some type of structure (something metering the time on the watch). I’d say the old rule goes if you have to question whether or not you add value to the item (in terms of item being engraved) then it’s not ready yet, but only you will know and then be willing to take the risk on your own or a clients watch.
Thanks for the insight, that’s something I’m still figuring out. Most items I make are for my wife, myself or close friends. As for if i feel I’m adding value… I never quite think I’m there. Some items serve as a time capsule for me. Something to look back upon to see my progress. I will keep working this design. It lacks something I haven’t figured out yet.

I was inspired to make this design after seeing Evan Watson engrave a stunning custom watch. Attached is his design, miles ahead of my own! I like the blank look, harder to use as a clock for sure though.

I’ll see if I can work into the design some sort of references for the hours. I may be able to figure out a way.

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 34

ByrnBucks

Good evening Mike, Like your design very much. Only suggestion maybe fold or add something to break up the long stretch of the outer most last leaf. The one with the hole in it on your practice piece. ”grain of salt” Have a great night

Mike576

Good evening Mike, Like your design very much. Only suggestion maybe fold or add something to break up the long stretch of the outer most last leaf. The one with the hole in it on your practice piece. ”grain of salt” Have a great night
Ya it is a bit out of proportion compared to the rest huh? I’ll work one in to break up that long stretch Sometimes you stare at something so long you get blinded by the obvious! Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Sponsors