Critique Request Derringer

russ

Here's one I finally finished a few weeks ago. I had the barrel complete about a year ago and finally found some time - a non commissioned job that kept ending up at the bottom of the list.

Attachments

• bondarms.jpg
    bondarms.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 260

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, that is some fine work..could you imagine shooting a .357 thru that thing. It would hurt you more than what your shooting at. .38 perhaps. My green (no experience) eyes are not going to be much help for critique... Very nice engraving and thanks for showing. Seth

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Russ, I can only say this is a very nice looking one to me. :thumbs up:
Also a nice photo you made of it.
I f you want some critique on the design, I can't. :big grin:

arnaud

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job Russ, very clean and distinct. Your customer will be proud of it. How did it engrave?

I see a few spacing problems and one place where I would have done it a little different, but it still looks very good. It is a hard area or space to deal with.

That scroll on the cowboy panel going upward toward the lettering bothers me a little. I don't know exactly why, except that it seems to be wandering a little even though it is along the same line and concept as the other areas.

This is nit picking of course, but you asked for a critique, so that is my honest evaluation.

Ron S

russ

Thanks everyone. It cut nice - very consistent throughout. It is a Bond Arms. I would definitely do another.

Seth - I was thinking more like a light 38 load first and maybe work up from there - course I'm a chicken.

Ron - Thanks for your evaluation. I think it's because the scroll stops so abruptly at the lettering. I should have been more creative and worked the design around it. Would that be the ticket?

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Russ, I think it is the rythum of the wavy scroll or something. the length of the up and down movement. Like I said, I don't know for sure, it is just disturbing my sense of balance or something. Don't worry about it now, and this critique was mostly about what to do in difficult areas as this is. I would have to draw on it myself to try to come up with another approach.

Stopping the scroll at the lettering isn't so bad, since this would require very small leaves compared to what you have unless you went through or behind the lettering.

There is just something about the larger scroll going upward. when I come to a problem like this, and we all have them, I usually let it sit for a little while and something comes to me to do.

Don't get me wrong, Russ. This looks very nice.

Sometimes we get so close to what we are doing, we cannot see. One trick is to turn it backwards in a mirror, but since it was a first impression look for me, that wouldn't work.

Anyway, I don't want you to think it would not pass muster. Your customer will be elated with it I am sure, and that is the most important thing. I'm just passing on what I see, and they are mostly refining ideas more than anything. Nit picking, but that is what makes us better is it not?

Good job!

Ron S

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Russ....Ok, I've been sitting here looking at the pictures before I read any comments so not to be swayed (something I always do) and I came to the exact same conclusion as Ron. Don't get me wrong, overall this is a nice piece; (nicely cut, shaded and stippled) but you want to learn right?

The wavy upward scroll unfortunately, in my eyes, doesn't look quite right. A scroll for the foliage to grow from would have looked so much better and would have been in better keeping with your overall design.

Also the scrolls behind the hammer; they fit quite well so don't be too worried but I'd say growing scrolls directly out of an edge should be avoided as it looks too harsh. Scrolls growing from an edge should flow into a design. A good example of this is the fore sight - this is how scrolls should grow from an edge. Whilst on the subject of the scroll below the hammer, be careful of the size of leaf. The one in the large scroll is massif by comparison with the others and looks out of proportion. Don't be lazy, if something needs 2 leaves or 1 leaf and a tendril do it, don't fill a large space with 1 leaf!

Please don't think I'm saying this piece of work is dreadful, it's not. You have executed it very well and cleanly and whoever eventually owns this piece should be delighted with it. The pointers I've given are to help you improve in the future. Well done.

DaveH

I bought the same gun the moment I saw it. The possibilities ! I am waiting to engrave it until I feel I am good enough to not ruin it. By the way, mines got the .357 barrels as well, and it shoots fine. Pretty intimidating at first, and quite a kick, but manageable. It also attracts a lot of attention at the range, it's tiny, sounds like a cannon, and shoots out a flame about 6 feet long ! Pretty cool, but not accurate at all. LOL

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Ron and Marcus, you both are nit picking but sure that makes the difference.
As being a novice I would not dare to tell that, although I saw some of it.
And sure it is easier to have some critiques than doing it right by yourself, but I'm here to learn and thanks to you I see some refinements I could not draw myself.

arnaud

russ

Ron, Marcus- No worries! I appreciate you’re honesty- it’s the only way we can improve.

Ron – I was just picking your brain a little- trying to help pinpoint the problem.

Thank you both for the tips. I found them very helpful.

Bob – OK, she rocks!

DaveH – You said it – “intimidating at first†– sometimes you just have to take the leap and go for it.

Latest posts

Sponsors