Derby Cover

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all, this is Harley derby cover (about 6.5") that I did for one of the guys in our club. The logo is our club logo. This was my first time to try something this big. I was experimenting with how deep/bold to cut the different parts of the thing, and as you can see, it's not real consistent. For example, the large "B" did not seem bold enough as I was doing it, so I got heavier as I went along. my buddy likes it, but I'm thinking I should go back and re-cut the parts I don't like. Suggestions/comments welcome.

Attachments

• Nov 2012 phone Dump 035.jpg
    Nov 2012 phone Dump 035.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 242

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice. I always think that if you have the time and the resources, you should always "fix" anything that you find less than perfect. Sometimes that is not economically feasable, but you certainly sleep better, and your word of mouth improves as well!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice cover! I agree with Bruce-always do your best-You will gain consistency as you progress.

Beathard-It is a funny looking hat worm by leprechaun, and me and the cover over the clutch plates. Fred

DakotaDocMartin

What is a derby?

The cover over the clutch plates on the left side of a Harley engine. Here's an example:

monk

Staff member
clean looking work, for sure. as far as inconsistent cutting depth, yes there's nothing wrong with going over a cut to improve the depth/width/ appearance. everybody does it now & then.

thughes

Guys, thanks for your thoughts. The different line widths/depths stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and it looks like it did to ya'll as well. Like I said, this was the first time I tried cutting this this big that was meant to be seen from a distance. It was quite a different animal from a small practice plate or knife. And aluminum was quite a different animal as well. I practiced cutting big on some old brass I had, but not the same at all. I will re-cut some of it and try not to screw it up too badly.

Thanks again for looking.

Todd