Demonstration plates, Vernon Gregory

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Just bought 38 demonstration plates. All copper, all 2x3'', except one 2x6''.
Some show a date of 1955, also Illinois or references to, are engraved on some plates. So I am guessing that was around when the plates were made, and the engraver was Vernon Gregory, and was from or went to engraving school in Illinois.

All but one are mounted into a photo type album, with acetate covers. It did a great job keeping the plates from tarnishing. I am guessing the engraver used this album to show what he could do, for customers or when applying for a job.

The plates were carefully prepared, and finished with about a 1500 grit straight line finish. I really like his work. Interesting wriggle treatments, borders, and infills. Everything to me looks well cut, and well designed.

Took some quick pictures. The picture quality does not do the work justice.

Attachments

• P1000236 80%.jpg
    P1000236 80%.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 327
  • P1000237.jpg
    P1000237.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 323

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
It is possible these are practice plates. I went to school in the mid 80,s and took a course in engraving at a scool called Gem City College in Quincy Illinois. I have a whole box of copper plates with similar type engraving. Mostly lettering. Im not sure how far back they taught engraving at this particular college.

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
These old collections are great for study. I bought a collection of old gravers and in there was about 30-40 practice rings from an engraver of ole....inside, outside, lettering and design....fun stuff to have in the collection....This looks like a really nice set and would make a great display. Nice find!

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Douglas,
I know what you mean by practice plates. I have some by two other engravers. But the ones I just got are different. Same size and copper as the practice plates, but the person spent alot of time nicely prepping the plates, and put in a nice display album. Not thrown into a box. The one not in the display album is mounted on wood and laquered. And all the work is really good, and done with great care. Maybe he did them in school. One plate has "Bradley Peoria Illinois engraving dept." Also Bradley fraternity designs.

Maybe he went to Bradley Technical Institute, which I believe was still teaching watchmaking in the 1950's, and some watchmaker schools also taught engraving. Will have to see what I can find on Google etc.

Update: Quickly found this on Google. Seems even though he was a talented, highly skilled engraver, he did not stick with it. Or maybe he did it part time. Many people who graduated from Watchmaker schools in the 1950's did not stick with it.

Vernon was born January 11, 1930 in Ottawa, Illinois, to Delbert and Minnie (Carlson) Gregory. He is a retired electrician from Libbey-Owen Ford after 32 years of service. He graduated from Ottawa High School. He received an Associates Degree from Bradley University in Peoria in Horology (watchmaking, engraving, stone and diamond setting) and the same degree from I.V.C.C. in Electricity.

Last edited:

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Kevin, That explains it. The Horology school at Bradley University located in Peoria Illinos moved to Gem City College at some point i was told. I also have a few of my nicer plates cleaned up and Restored.They could have been demo plates by the instructor.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently received some copper plates with very nice lettering practice on them. They are all quite tarnished. Can someone tell the best way to remove the tarnish without negatively impacting the fine engraving.

Thanks,

Roger

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, you might try tarnex and a sunshine cloth. It works on silver so it might work on copper too. another options is apple cider vinegar and table salt,I used this in my grandparents restaurant to shine up copper pots and pans.

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I used very high grit sandpaper. 2000 i think it was. It takes off very little metal and leaves a nice light satin finish. Then a shot of the krylon clear spray to seal it up. Try it out on the back of the plate first if your wondering what it will look like.

bthomas

One thing that occurs to me whenever looking at any sort of work from another era is what sort of acess the engraver or model maker, jeweler , leatherworker etc. had to examine other's work. Sort of my view that Mr. Gregory faced a steeper curve in the era he was working even accepting the formal training he was able to obtain at Bradley University.

Because it used to be rare special events or shows that brought together exhibitions that prompted one's own developement ....now there is ready acess to all sorts of exceptional works in every field (modelmaking, engraving , fly tying , leatherwork etc.) on the internet.

Just musing as I never cease to be amazed by this marvelous library called internet.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Here is another of Vernon's plates.

the capital "P +R" have an infill of triangular cuts that look carefully laid out, but looking at them with a loupe, seems pretty random. I really like the effect.

Their is a thin coat of gloss lacquer on the plates. combined with being in the album, kept them from tarnishing. Copper plate is 2x3".

On the opposite side of the plate is practice lettering. Not as good as his demo plates. That side was not polished and finished like the other side, and heavily tarnished.

Attachments

• 85% cropped.jpg
    85% cropped.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Sponsors