Deep relief, sculpting & oakleaves

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sculpting & Oak leaves have been mentioned in a couple of recent posts so I thought I'd share a few of my attempts.

Here's a basic rundown of how I do it:
I begin by drawing the design on the work surface; next, I cut a basic outline of the pattern using an onglette (or, spitzer); go back and double cut the outline, leaning into what will be the background areas; cut away the background using flat gravers of various sizes; recut the outline; (these two steps are repeated to get the desired depth); texture the background; rough shape the leaves or scrolls using flat graves;then begins the sculpting using punches or, chislets as Phillipe Grifnee (RIP) called them. The punches allow the engraver to displace and move metal, raising, shaping and contouring to give a very dimensional look. The punches are various shapes and I have them in both textured and smooth-face...depends on the look you want. Personally, I stop at the punch phase & do not use stones.... I like the work when it shows the artist's hand...(my work and therefore, my opinion).
Relief sculpting's not quick and takes a lot of effort but, the results are worth it!

Hope you Enjoy,
Weldon

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 477
  • 029 - Copy.jpg
    029 - Copy.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 077 - Copy.jpg
    077 - Copy.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 472
  • 356.jpg
    356.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 463
  • 366.jpg
    366.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 469
  • ready 1.jpg
    ready 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 426
  • 359.jpg
    359.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 369.jpg
    369.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 005 - Copy.jpg
    005 - Copy.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice carving indeed Weldon. I especially like the knife bolsters and the oak leaves have a definite realism about them which is wonderful. The poor little quail, which also look great, hardly get a look in! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!!!!!!
Just when I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on this engraving thing I see work like this and it's a good reminder of how much I still need to learn, and how far I still need to go. Thank you for sharing, it's beautiful work and very inspirational. :tiphat:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, the darker shading in the sculpted oak leaves... Is that paint or shading lines or?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
weldon: nice to have you "back in the fold", as some say. very beautiful and informative as well. hope you're enjoying things down your way.

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Very very good!! I love to see how you understand ornament and the Chiseling/Repoussé technique!! You can see you had course with The Master Philippe Griffenée, May He rest in Peace! Keep up the good work!!