Deep Relief scroll

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a few pics of a deep-relief/semi carved scroll double rifle I engraved a short while back.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is exceptional Marcus. While a lot of gold inlay is typical on high end guns, I like what you achieved with a minimal of gold.

Beautiful!

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Crisp, clean, beautifully designed and executed. Lovely shading, too!

High-fives to you, Marcus.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good stuff Marcus!!
You know I can see some of your dads style here and there....and that's not a bad thing, sometimes I look at photo's and I think that looks familiar but I can't remember that gun.....and it's Simons.

Phil

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not bad for a fellow that drives on the wrong side of the road!!
:)
Seriously, very nice indeed!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wrong side of the road? And Rex, did you notice that he put the wrong design on the wrong side too?

Boy! These Brits, what are we giong to do with them?

HeeHeeHee, got you guys didn't I ? Don't tell me that you didn't look...............:)

Beautiful work Marcus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron S

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
As always Marcus this is beautiful. When you say “deep relief” what do you mean? How deep is deep? The card came in the mail today. Thank you my friend.

Sandy

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

Fantastic work as always!!! So rich and elegant!!!

I love your "budget" engraving as well...............it's great to see some of your work on the forum. Don't tell me that you are starting to catch up with modern tecnology like a decent camera :)

That's a feirce looking snow storm you guys have in London at the moment!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your comments guys. I love doing this kind of scroll as there is a lot of freedom in the fluidity. This is primarily because of the use of a dip-pen and resist. The design is literally drawn on and nitric acid cuts away the background leaving the design a fraction oversize. Afterwards, the scrolls are engraved and shaded as normal. I suppose the depth it cuts to is approx .007"-.009". I must admit though, using acid scares me silly! When it goes into the bath things are out of your control and I've had a couple of disasters in my time!!!

JoeCera

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus I spent some time with Barry Lee Hands
in september.That technic is fantastic,and your work
Really resembles Your Fathers Style .
Very nice.
May I send you a Private Mess.
Thanks Joe Cera

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fascinating!

Let me see if I'm understanding this properly:

You take the area to be engraved and use a dip pen to draw the scroll with resist, then make the usual arrangements for acid etching it (either covering the rest of the piece with resist or making dams around the area to contain the acid).

Then you acid etch the piece to do all of the background removal at once.

After that you come back with your gravers and clean up the edges and do the shading.

Is that a good summary?

Sounds like it would take a bit of an investment to get the whole thing under control but once you did it would let you do some nice work cheaper via the time savings on the background removal.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Marcus and it seems a lot of work to me.
I'm wondering who is willing to pay for such a lot of work.
I understand that in de US peaople know about hand engraving, especially on arms, here in Belgium it seems I have to explain what it is.
And of course in Wallonië (the south) there are the arms factories, but besides this it seams hard to educate my customers in a sense they want hand engravings :rolleyes:

arnaud

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a feirce looking snow storm you guys have in London at the moment!!!
Andrew, This was taken from my bedroom window this morning.
These days we may get one day of snow and it's gone the next, now , when I was a kid it was a different story!
Phil

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, that red thing is a life saving ring on a stand, there's a pond in there, and right at the back there's a waterfall, but frozen now.

Phil

Andrew Biggs

Hi Phil

Beautiful view. I just hope you have plenty of firewood!!!!

Wales has made our news now as well with the snow storm coming through your neck of the woods. Then it's off to Scotland. By the looks of it our news is a day or two out of date!!! :)

A couple of years ago, in the middle of winter, coming home from the West Coast, we were traveling through the alpine area of Arthurs Pass. A beautiful place with a high rain fall and lots of water falls...........I noticed that the waterfalls looked a bit strange.........sort of like they had just stopped.

Well, they had because they were frozen solid.....and some of them are big waterfalls!!! A totally amazing sight.

Cheers
Andrew

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's pretty much what the Cotswolds look like at the moment Phil.

Steve, you've pretty much described the process. I will often etch down an action in 3 stages though as I'm pretty nervous of putting the whole thing in the acid bath. I usually build dams around the sides and bottom of the action and time it as I go so as to make the whole etch even.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Marcus!

I'll just tuck this little gem of a technique away for the day when I might be experienced enough to make use of it, then (hopefully) remember it, try it enough to actually be able to use it, and then have it available to me. (Reminder - copy off and print out relevant sections of this thread to file away so I can find it back)

As aggressive an acid as you need for steel I think I'd also go with the minimum exposure approach as well. Be a real annoyance (to put it mildly) to find out far too late that some acid got into an interior bit and wasn't fully neutralized. Much less likely to happen when you keep control over where it does and does not go.

Latest posts

Sponsors