Deep relief Roman lettering

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The customer wanted to keep it simple, and wanted relief Roman lettering on this silver buckle.
I antiqued the background with Birchwood Casey Perma Blue cream, and lightly polished it with 4/0 steel wool. This made for a more natural looking patina than black paint.

IMG_4683-sm.JPG

mrthe

Fantastic like ever!
I'm just carving a steel penny and blackening it for the first time with the Casey super blue gun , i haven't try the perma cream but i see that give a super Dark ,very nice!
Thank you for share.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that's beautiful, Sam. some of my favorite pieces over the years have not been the elaborate, artsy fartsy monograms, but the (near)perfect rendering of simple classic letter forms. sometimes with a little gold or drop shadows or whatever to dress 'em up just a bit, but mostly just as their original designer and nature intended.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Did you use a rotary bur to texture the background? I didn't know that Perma Blue would work on silver. I've always used the more traditional methods. A person can learn something new here almost every day. (Or, at least often!) :)

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that's some CLEAN work. Well done. And nice tip on the Perma Blue. Good ideas are sitting right in front of you sometimes and it takes another artist to point them out.
Layne

FBRM

...i like the understand.
And: That it is "scrued" and not high polished.

Sam

Staff member
Did you use a rotary bur to texture the background? I didn't know that Perma Blue would work on silver. I've always used the more traditional methods. A person can learn something new here almost every day. (Or, at least often!) :)

Yes Doc. I used a 0.5mm carbide ball bur to texture the background. I did the majority of the excavation with a 105° graver then leveled and textured it with the rotary bur. The Perma Blue works pretty well. I use it occasionally when I want a more natural looking patina as opposed to black paint. The problem is that it requires a bit of sanding or steel wooling to get off the excess dark areas, and that means possibly ruining fine detail. This job has no fine detail and is deeply recessed so I could easily sand and steel wool and not have to worry.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sam It is always a pleasure to see some of your engraving work. I always enjoy watching you embellish something.
What happened to the scroll exercise you talked about in the middle of November. Oh by the way I took your advise when I saw you
at the JCK show last year and introduced me to Blaine Lewis. I have signed up for one of his stone setting classes and come to find out Chris Malouf will be in the class with me. I am looking forward to having a great week in February.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
elegance by simplicity. quite a nice buckle. where did you get the blank, sam ?

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, everyone says "simple". When things are done as well as this they are anything but simple,they just seem simple because of the quality of your work.

scott99

Sam

Staff member
elegance by simplicity. quite a nice buckle. where did you get the blank, sam ?

Thank you all for your kind words.

Thanks monkie-man :) The buckle was supplied by the customer. Not sure where he obtained it.

Sam

Staff member
Sam It is always a pleasure to see some of your engraving work. I always enjoy watching you embellish something.
What happened to the scroll exercise you talked about in the middle of November. Oh by the way I took your advise when I saw you
at the JCK show last year and introduced me to Blaine Lewis. I have signed up for one of his stone setting classes and come to find out Chris Malouf will be in the class with me. I am looking forward to having a great week in February.

Good for you, Bill! Blaine is an awesome teacher and has a really nice facility. You and Chris will have a fine time!