Deep cutting Ti on stone setting and using diamond powder

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To illustrate the use of diamond powder on a leather lap.
I didn't invent this wheel and it seems 50% of you use the powder your whole carreer, so why didn't anyone tell us?,.. :confused: :justkidding:

I use different ways to do these kind of stone setting, this was the first time I did it this way.
The up blown photo shows the cuts I made using a “knife onglette” (I do not know the name of this graver).
I use face 65° on a 1200 grid diamond lap. After that just polished the face and sides. Not only to have a bright cut, but it also helps the graver tip not breaking so many times.
This is probably because all on the graver is a bit rounded by doing that and it takes only a few strokes to polish the graver.
The whole setting is cut by the use of that one graver.
For setting the stones, I used a bead tool nr8, just a bit bigger that I shortened 1/3 and put into a collet that fits the hand piece.
Putting the stones in, then just a bit hammering so the bead tool rounds the top and gets a bit wider on top, like a fungus.
Last I used the leather diamond to polish the beads by hand, was done in 15 seconds.
The diamonds are 0.03ct (2mm)
arnaud

I know this is bigg, but otherwise you don't see it. click the images for even a bigger photo!

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Very neat Arnaud & I see your diamond buff works well :)
I use knife shape quite a lot for this type of setting.
Have to say I'll try your diamond powder buff if I can source some in EU..seems to be abit difficult to find :confused:
I did find some silicon carbide powder from a lapidary supplier..would that work?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris thank you, no, only dry diamond powder.
Does the link Sam ad not work for you? Many others already ordered there so Dave came up with the story the seller asked him why am I selling that much diamond powder?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Carats-ELGIN-Diamond-Polishing-Powder-Grade-1-2-micron-0-1-28-000-Grit-/181167752439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2e7084f7

It seems Sam bought his last 100 carat. :biggrin: it is all sold. :(

Aren't there diamond lapidary people in your neighborhood? you just need what is called BOORT

arnaud

Last edited:

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work, and nice pictures too. I have seen some posts state that anything finer than a 600 grit lap is wasted effort, yet you have gone far beyond that. I suppose there is a large degree of personal preference involved, and certainly it matters what material you are engraving, but what is the point of diminishing returns with regard to graver finish?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I do not understand your question that good, do you want to know why I so to say over polished my graver?
If so, it is not only because I want a bright cut on Ti, but by rounding (polishing) the graver, it remains sharp longer. A knife graver is like the name, and so it looks. You can imagine what normally happens when cutting deep on Ti using a knife graver.

If I didn't answer your question, let me know.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, as Finland is part of the EU, shouldn't be a problem shipping from Antwerp if you can't find a better way

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The one I bought in Antwerp is made in Belgium. There is a phone number on the paper (see photo) I don't think they have an on line shop.
But I'm gonna talk with Maxim, Alexandre's son who is running the graver/stone setter shop in Antwerp. I will ask him if he knows a good address.
Then he might ship it.
Of course I can sent you 5 carat in en envelope if you email me your coordinates. But it is packet like it looks like 5 gram cocaine. Easy to ship in an envelope, but the powder might go up in the customs noses. :biggrin:

arnaud

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the offer, I'll try searching around abit more first..must be some somewhere :)
Tried ordering some tools from Alexandre's via email but no reply :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, I ordered at Diamlou ( the company in the picture Arnaud has placed in his first topic about this powder) by fax.
And they answered me the next day, so I expect they will deliver the order I placed.
The cost were € 0,95 to € 1,00 per carat.

Here is the picture, there is also a phone number.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, did you order the green one? I think that one is the finest grid. I will find out next week and let you know

arnaud

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I guess I thought the uses of both wet AND dry diamond grits were common knowledge... I've used both for 40+ years?

I've always gone over the uses of both in my basic hand engraving workshops. Just thought everyone else did too?

Sometimes you forget that not everybody knows what you take for granted as obvious...

Tip: If you want to stretch the use of your "powder/dust" mix it with a little grease/oil or vaseline to keep it on the leather...

Brian

Last edited:

Sponsors