De-Lurking to Out Someone Else (Gargoyle)

TGenDS

Hi All,

I was working in my studio this evening and just happened to have my television set on Chicago's public television station, WTTW, Channel 11.

Imagine my giddy delight when I hear that they're planning to do a feature on one of The Cafe's own...Gargoyle!

Here's the link--they'll likely be posting the video soon, so you'll want to check back for that. [This was too good not to share, hence the need to "de-lurk"... ;-D]

Congrats, Walter! --Awesome feature!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
to cover all he's done, they're going to need a few miles of tape to get it all down.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that's pretty cool! most days i'm just trying to not end up on an episode of "COPS"...

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
to cover all he's done, they're going to need a few miles of tape to get it all down.
They started with two or three hours of tape, and once they cleared out the chaff they only had about 6 minutes left to work with. :)

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well deserved recognition Walter! Getting over six minutes of air time for an individual today is quite exceptional. It was interesting to note the comments about the air chisel as it is parallel to the disputes that have occurred here about air assisted gravers.

Cheers,
Roger

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I loved the video! Only I was surprised to see Walter work without a mask! Even with fans blowing the carving dust away you still are getting quite a bit of junk in your lungs after decades of carving. We want to keep this talent around for quite a while.

Gargoyle

I loved the video! Only I was surprised to see Walter work without a mask! Even with fans blowing the carving dust away you still are getting quite a bit of junk in your lungs after decades of carving. We want to keep this talent around for quite a while.
The limestone and marble I use are generally about 98% calcium carbonate- I'm breathing powdered Rolaids.
I've known a lot of carvers who were still working into their late 80's and even into their 90's, as long as they weren't smokers and avoided sandstone and granite they were fine.

Sandstone and granite carvers, on the other hand, better be religious fanatics about always wearing masks; I've known some who had lung disease by the time they were in their early 50's.

I've never been able to get used to wearing masks- they form a barrier between me and the work, and fog up my glasses.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:WOW, that's great! :clapping:My sincere congratulations to Walter (Gargoyle)! Thanks for posting the link! Paulie

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Love seeing you work Walter. If you ever create a video of a project you do, I would be one of the first in line to buy it.

I think you art is the tops.

Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Of course Walter is the Official Cafe Stone Carver, and he's damn good at it, too!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Walter-

yesterday my wife & I toured the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC for the first time in a few years (we live right down the street from it- ok, about 12 miles down the street, but if you go to the end of our street and hang a right you'll end up at the front door). the stonework, both decorative & architectural is magnificent (some incredible woodcarving inside, too).

what really made me think of you was a large photograph showing the workmen riding open railcars into the jobsite atop various building materials, equipment, etc. the caption read, in part: "The stonecarvers, who were the aristocracy of the work force, rode in passenger cars specially rented for that purpose." :bow:

Gargoyle

"The stonecarvers, who were the aristocracy of the work force, rode in passenger cars specially rented for that purpose." :bow:
Love it.

Stonecarvers always lead improvements in workplace conditions. Our union was the first in the country with 40 hour weeks, 5 day weeks, 8 hour days.

I've still never made it to Biltmore, but I do have some tools that belonged to a carver who worked there. His granddaughter found them in a loft in a family barn and gave them to me.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Please let me know if you ever head this way- I think you'd find it well worth the trip.

Here's just an iPhone shot of the exterior of the grand staircase:

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 42

mrthe

Walter Congratulations ! i have really enjoy this video , had remebered to me the days of the Academy of the fine Arts when i was a Sculpture student!
Very nice! and your eork is great! Where do you have Study in Italy? Carrara?

Gargoyle

Walter Congratulations ! i have really enjoy this video , had remembered to me the days of the Academy of the fine Arts when i was a Sculpture student!
Very nice! and your eork is great! Where do you have Study in Italy? Carrara?
A bit south of there, Pietrasanta. I still return often. I was actually there at the time this show aired.

Latest posts

Sponsors