Damascus lock

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started this project a while back and just getting to the stage nearing completion.

I thought it would be different to have a rifle with a damascus lock. I had a bar of 1/4" thick damascus by Kevin Cashen and cut it out using a Davis Henry lock as a pattern.

I hand cut the backside out manually using a dovetail cutter in my drill press and finished it with files.

This is what it looked like before the etching process.

After hardening and polishing, I used PCB Etchant mixed 4/1 water to chemical. It will go on my personal English long range rifle. The rest of the metal on the gun will be French grayed. Just a whim to make my rifle look different from all the others. I did cut the sear and main spring slots with a graver.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's fun and different. Are you planning on making all the parts or just the plate? I've always thought if I had nothing but time it would be fun to try and make a lock from scratch. Alas, time is the thing I have the least of. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Any plans to engrave it?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you planning on making all the parts or just the plate?
The completed lock shown has my plate with Davis internals. The hammer is an aftermarket casting. I don't have a lathe so hand filing those small parts doesn't really appeal to me.

Any plans to engrave it?
I did originally, but backed off on that decision. I was going to do my name and a gold border around the edge. If you look at the bar I cut the plate from you will see drill marks. This stuff was so tough that it dulled a hacksaw blade almost instantly, so I had to drill around the periphery. There was a lot of internal crystallization and it was tough even drilling it out. I decided that, at my skill level, it would be a nightmare to engrave it, so rather than screw it up, I left it as is.

Latest posts

Sponsors