Damascened pendant

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Sam; That pendant kept getting better and better as I scrolled down. Thanks for the progression photos. Abigail must have quite a collection of engraved jewelery. I admire your ability and vision,to sketch that directly on the work without a transfer and have it turn out as it did. Thanks for posting.
Cheers
Don

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam; That pendant kept getting better and better as I scrolled down. Thanks for the progression photos. Abigail must have quite a collection of engraved jewelery. I admire your ability and vision,to sketch that directly on the work without a transfer and have it turn out as it did. Thanks for posting.
Cheers
Don

Thanks Don. I prefer to draw directly on the article I'm engraving, but I did do some loose sketches on paper to build a composition I liked. No transfers though.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,
What's the difference in damascening and overlaying, like you show in one of your tutorials? Did you use wire or sheet for the gold?

Thanks
Todd

Sam

Staff member
Sam,
What's the difference in damascening and overlaying, like you show in one of your tutorials? Did you use wire or sheet for the gold?

Thanks
Todd

Same thing. Damascene is the traditional name.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice work. equally nice progression fotos is that rustoleum blackening?

celticjohn

Sam,
I get the tutorial to a point. You chequered the background to get a "key" for the gold to hold.
You overlayed the gold and stoned it down smooth, you then drew the design and cut it.

how did you then remove the gold from off the background you then have shown in the finished article as black.
Do you cut it away with a flat??

Regards

Sam

Staff member
Sam,
I get the tutorial to a point. You chequered the background to get a "key" for the gold to hold.
You overlayed the gold and stoned it down smooth, you then drew the design and cut it.

how did you then remove the gold from off the background you then have shown in the finished article as black.
Do you cut it away with a flat??

Regards

I outline the areas of negative space with a 105° graver and cut through all the way to the steel, then left out the pieces of gold to expose the background. When that's done I stipple the background to hide the teeth and tool marks.

On the outside areas I might use a flat to level it a bit if there's room. If not, stippling will take care of it.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Why not silver solder the gold to the steel? Why not use gold filled material for the whole thing? Or use silver instead of steel and solder on the gold? Or gold vermeil?

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, Ya done good, she is smiling a big smile. A little wine, some soft lighting, ya got it made.

Miss Abigail, Happy birthday and many more with Sam (if ya can stand the glare)-Fred

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Looks outstanding, amazing ................. and your iron pendant no bad too. Happy birthday, Abigail !!!

Vlad from Toronto, Canada

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Sam it's amazing how a pretty girl makes your engraving look good! I may have to give that a try!! Just kidding I love your work. I hope you and Abby are doing well. I have left Baton Rouge and moved back to Bama. I am now full tiime building my beloved Flintlocks and Engraving full time.

Latest posts

Sponsors