Dallas Safari Club Show Review

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
I went Thursday by myself and met up with a friend, Jared Buhrmester, on Friday, Jared and I are bit and spur makers and I loosely call myself an engraver.
One word..WOW..I never knew there were so many hunting guides. So many taxidermists, so many incredible mounts. So much everything gun and hunting related!
But my main reason for going was for the engraving. I got to meet and talk to many fine engravers, gunmakers and stock makers, Lee Griffiths, Brian Hochstrat, Bob Strosin(he even let me join FEGA), Roger Sampson, Lee Hegeland, T.J. Kaye, Jim Blair and so many more.
I also brought a pair of spurs with engraving. I got to sit and talk with Lee Griffiths about the engraving I did on my spurs. As busy as Lee was with friends and future customers, he took time to critique and show me ways to improve my engraving. I really appreciated his time and suggestions. We were also able to buy a couple of castings from Lee (his Hornblower casting is simply incredible).
I have to say I was quite impressed by the friendliness to everyone by the gunmakers and engravers. Always happy to let you pick up the rifle and inspect the engravings. I don't know if I'd be as agreeable to all the coon fingering.
After all the time I've lied near Dallas, this was my first time to attend the Dallas Safari Club Show and it was one of the best shows I'd ever been to. Won't miss another one!

Jerry Gant

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are curious animals and just naturally have to play with everything they can get their paws on. Hence the term. I'll tell you a story about a pet one we used to have when I was a small kid when I see you in Reno.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Roger
I call my wife my little Racoon. As she likes all the stuff that sparkles and shines. Shes all about the bling. She coon fingers all the bling.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've never heard that expression but I plan to start using it! Oh, and thanks for the review :)

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
I've heard "coon fingering" for quite some time..hadn't heard it in awhile but heard Russell Yates use it again few years ago and have heard others since. Tim's explanation is exactly right.

Jerry

Latest posts

Sponsors