Czech Blacksmith/artist/sculptor

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Our colleague, Paul Hamler, is not posting much these days, he is a busy boy, but he just wrote me saying by all means post this link:

Rod,this guy has a sense of humor. Click on a photo and scroll through.
Paul

https://www.facebook.com/V.W.KREBS/photos_stream

I was very impressed with this extensive slide show of recent work and a great archive of historical work. This Czech can poke your sensibilities in the ribs unexpectedly, and has more than a little bit of the rebel in him. Take a look...

Rod

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rod,Thanks for sharing the art of blacksmithing I hope I see Paul at the next Cabin Fever tool & model show in York Pa. J.J.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe, this Czech blacksmith just struck a chord with me, JJ and Todd,

Although he is extraordinary.

When I was a youngster in Scotland, going to school on foot for miles, and always carrying a gas mask, as we were being bombed and strafed during WW2, and feared gas attacks, well those were the days when a young lad could see many tradesmen doing their work daily. A carpenter might be walking with tools on his shoulder, to work on a house door, the plumber, also on foot, would be doing pipe work, the cobbler shoe soles in front of his shop window, and the blacksmith was always my dream to emulate, the hot glowing charcoal, the heat of the forge, the smell of horse sweat, it was all laid out before me as I lingered by the open forge door. I wanted to run away from school and be a blacksmith. Then as I grew a bit older, I became fascinated with mechanisms, figuring out for myself how the steam locomotive worked, and the paddle steamer that took me up Loch Lomond to climb the ben. My ideas and ambitions got refined from smithing to engineering, so I apprenticed as a toolmaker, but retained my interest in smithing. In the back yard of my workshop I built a nice wee forge as an homage to my first instincts, and I do use it from time to time. Besides, when I spend all day removing just a few thousands of an inch in voicing a flute, it is a welcome break to go out and hit something with a really big hammer.

Rod

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Willem, and LVVP,

There is certainly a lot of modern iron work going on, perhaps more avant gard in Europe than in the States, what do you think?

I still am impressed with the Czech, his gravitas comes through in his slide shows, at least for me.

But I better stop here in case our administrators think we are hijacking an engraving forum!!

best wishes for a good Yuletide...

Rod

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
That is some stunning work what a imagination he has don't know how he gets thing done with the elfettes helping him though ;)
Ray

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do get to Prague from time to time, Ray,

Would like to look him up, and maybe pick some guitar with him, I see he plays some, but would rather see him work at the forge after a few whiskeys?

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors