Cutting the Colt Black Powder sig series???

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone,
I have an opportunity to acquire three of the Colt Black powder signature series? Has anyone cut these and if so are they OK to work on?

I will be engraving these as gifts for family members who feel that Black powder firearms rule the universe:rolleyes:

Is the case coloring TRUE heat coloring or chemicals? Meaning can I strip the case coloring and bluing off with Lysol?

Donny

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don,

In my experience, all Colt SAA frames are true CCH and must be annealed prior to engraving. A few years back, Colt made a cheaper version single action thay called the Colt Cowboy. The frame colors on those looked to be chemical treatment and not true CCH.

Roger

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Donny,

I have to admit to some confusion about the guns you were referencing. There are SAAs on what is known as the "black powder" frame that I thought you meant. Years ago I engraved one of the 2nd generation 1860 army models made by Colt and it was real CCH that had to be annealed. I later owned a 3rd generation signature series 1851 navy. I didn't try to engrave it but it had all the hallmarks of real bone CCH. Let us know what you learn from Colt.

Cheers,
Roger

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Donny,
Here is the Colt second generation .36 cal 5 shot cap & ball that I just finished. It's a Model 1862 Pocket Police. It was a joy to engrave.

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Dennis,
That is reallllly nice! Do you intend to have it blued or keep it looking like that? It's got a neat french grey look going on right now. But if you do blue it do the screws in a Nitre blue. Either way it looks great.
Did you do this for yourself or a client. I only ask because I think these would be fun to buy and do as spec guns. Do and sell.

Market is kinda slow on folks calling to have things done if you don't have your FEGA Masters stamp :)

Donny

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
It's in it's finished state (French grey). The screws were harden and I just didn't want to mess with them so I left them Colt factory blued. Things are jumping on my end with people wanting guns engraved..... Don't let that Masters thing get in your way... customers will only pay for your art if they like it.... stamp or no stamp :)

Last edited:

captchee

i have worked on a couple and never had an issue .
this is the first time i have done a Belgium made Centaure and was alittle worried . but to this point i have found it to cut very well also

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors