Cutting Steel. Up close & personal, in super-slo-mo.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very cool - looks more like it is cutting through lard or something. Thanks for posting!

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
There's a lot of "smooshing" and tearing going on. The metal tends to gob up on the tip and bull doze through the metal.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's a lot of "smooshing" and tearing going on. The metal tends to gob up on the tip and bull doze through the metal.

and if you watch closely, the metal is actually parting well ahead of the cutting edge in most of the clips. like in your screen capture still, you can see the metal coming apart well before making actual contact with the tool.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, a very viscous liquid and a good thing too or we'd have to vanquish terrorists with stone tipped weapons. The graver tip looks like the prow of a icebreaker and the metal much like ice. What I thought was really wild is the welding of debris under the graver I wonder what the temperature is at the local molecular level.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, thanks, Mitch. This explains a lot about porpoising, why chips sometimes break off at unexpected times, etc. :cool: I'll have to remember this the next time unexpected things happen in my cutting!!! :shock:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
mindful, to me, of the forces acting on the surface of our planet. mountain formation, crustal deformation and such.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
" crustal deformation and such."

That's just what I think when I look in the mirror first thing in the morning lately, do you think it is caused by engraving?

Bob

Sponsors