Cutting Damascus

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Gerry,
I cut up some of that stuff we bought in Tulsa. I used an air powered cut off tool. Cut with no problem. It does have hard spots.:shock: good luck,:tiphat:
Sandy

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Anneal it , if it isn't already annealed already, then cut with a bandsaw as you would a regular billet.
IF it was hardened you would be unable to do anything with it, therefore billets sold to knifemakers are always annealed.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
assuming the scroll saw will cut it, i'd think you'd develop fits tryin to steady the blank with your free hand.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Suggestions always depend on what tools YOU have or are willing to purchase, and what you are trying to accomplish. Also, the thickness of the material. If you want to just cut a hunk off, a hacksaw or cut-off tool is good for that. Any saws need to be of the metal cutting variety. If you are trying to cut out a pattern, drilling an adjacent series of holes around the edge of your pattern is relatively simple. Then just snap off the waste with a pair of vise grips and grind or file your edge to your pattern.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Gerry

If this is stock damascus and not Heat treated it should cut like any High carbon steel. There is a little nickel added to give it that pattern look but still should be soft enough. Now having said that there are a few knife makers who are working on stainless steel Damascus and this will be a little harder. I grind, cut and shape Damascus with all the normal shop tools. If it is already hardened then you will have the same problems you would have with cutting non damascus steel.

Latest posts

Sponsors