Crocker Fixture

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello All!

I'm giving a class at the MJSA in a couple of weeks and need a Crocker Sharpening Fixture for a demo. Does anyone have a Crocker that they are not currently using that could be loaned to me for the next couple of weeks? It will have a great time in NYC and I'll get it back to you in one piece. :biggrin: Otherwise I will have to buy one just for the demo. Thanks!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mine is in use as a decoy weight. That's the best use I could ever find for a Crocker fixture :rolleyes:

If I had a dozen of them I'd give 'em all to you!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, they are definitely not my sharpener of choice, however, the class is an overview of ornamental engraving and it doesn't help to speak with people for the first time and tell them the only way to get into this sport is with thousands of dollars worth of equipment. I'm going to go over the full spectrum from hand sharpening & make everything yourself to buy everything premade with lots of power. A lot to cover in 90 minutes.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Well, I'm probably too hard on the ol' Crocker fixture. They're not that bad, but I've always poked fun at 'em :) Back in the day that was about all there was.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Tira,I have an old antique crocker with legs pat.date 11-9-07 S#4264 can't believe there were 4000 of these made.I don't if this one would be of help?J.J.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
J.J. I'm not sure I've even ever seen an antique crocker with legs. Can you post a picture of that - it would be interesting to see.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used one when I was in engraving school and I found it was very hard to get precise angles. It was a constant struggle and sometimes the thing would shift on you in the middle of sharpening.

monk

Staff member
don't badmouth the first hi tech tool i ever bought tira, mine is probably in a landfill somewhere.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Tira,I gave the old crocker a good look over and it will not hold a graver blank for sharping,the newer I had I gave to student.Maybe some one else on the forum can help you.J.J.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm sure I have one in my studio somewhere. What is the exact date of your presentation, as I'm out of town until March 10th. I'm in Eden, NC so mailing it to you in time should be no problem if the dates isn't too close. I may need to spend some time locating it though!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many thanks to those who have contacted me. Ron Finch is close by and is lending me his sharpening fixture for the show. Thanks!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They do suck at sharpening gravers, but work well for sharpening small woodcarving chisels. You just loosen everything up, push down on the tip of the chisel so it self-centers, and then tighten it. Still, even that is only slightly better than eyeballing it.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Rock on! not

Hi Tira,
I use the Crockers Fixture, but I got a good old one. Few years ago I ordered a second one to just do the face, ended up sending it back two times. Finally re-machined the third new one --so that the pivot points would point true/straight!

I have the old one set up to drop the heel angle while I turn the graver up. Puts a compound grind on it like on a regular drill bit face.
Mark

LGB

Tira,

I have a sharpener which was made by me over 20 yrs ago. Mr. Biggs placed as article I wrote up 5 or 6 yrs ago in the Engravers Magazine. If you would like to view and use this tool I will send it to you. I wrote the article so others could make their own tool. It is much more accurate to use than the Crocker. Send me a PM and I will send you more info. I hope you could get the tool before the class starts.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Latest posts

Sponsors