Connecticut

Allen R

Looking for a class near CT. Tutor would be great. I'm a beginner that only draws at this point.

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam Alfano has a “Beginner’s course” DVD set that is more than capable of setting one down the path, understanding the basics and giving several practical practice routes and designs that would kickstart your skills prior to attending a class. Good luck and have a great weekend. BB

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Sam Alfano has a “Beginner’s course” DVD set that is more than capable of setting one down the path, understanding the basics and giving several practical practice routes and designs that would kickstart your skills prior to attending a class. Good luck and have a great weekend. BB
Sam’s DVD’s are top notch. Excellent, professionally done.

Allen R

Thanks for the advice. I just purchased hammer and graver set which includes a DVD by Sam. I picked it up at a distributor in RI. I'll check it out tonight. Thank -you very much!!
Allen

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For some reason, people never give the harsh realities right off the bat. There are no classes near you, and most probably no tutors either. Those available are several states away and relatively expensive. Add to that your travel expenses and room and board. Also, those that do tutoring charge $200 per day and up. Unless you plan to become a full time engraver and spend the money, you will have to learn on your own.

When this forum first started, there were engravers offering classes almost monthly. Now, few if any, are advertised anymore. GRS has pretty much cornered the market on classes, but there are a few others. How much are you wiling to spend to learn engraving? Probably the best single source to learn H&C is the book "Engraving Historic Firearms" by John Shippers. It is available from nmlra.org and is a class in a book. If followed religiously it will teach you engraving from the very basics forward. Good luck with your quest.

kevin colwell

Looking for a class near CT. Tutor would be great. I'm a beginner that only draws at this point.
Allen,
where are you? I am in Cheshire, CT. I am not putting myself out there as a teacher unless you have literally never sharpened a graver or engraved a thing. But, we may be able to share resources and learn.

Allen R

Allen,
where are you? I am in Cheshire, CT. I am not putting myself out there as a teacher unless you have literally never sharpened a graver or engraved a thing. But, we may be able to share resources and learn.
I am in Chaplin near UCONN. I am interested!!! I am willing to travel and meet the criteria.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That would be awesome! Please text me the best way to contact you. 860-428-1836 Thank-you!
I’m friends with Chris he is a real good dude. Wicked smart and a good engraver. Man has more tools than anyone I know! I’m also from Ledyard, not as good an engraver and don’t have as many tools!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors