Help, please: Compressor not holding pressure for Gravermach

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From what I see in the videos it looks like you have some sort of obstruction in a line/lines. I would start first by bypassing the filter on the outside of the Gravermach. Just bring the hose from the compressor into the back of the machine. It may be a plugged filter.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The compressor and pressure control seem to work OK. Yep, looks like a restriction in the dynamic orifice. Could be the regulator on the compressor, somewhere in the lines to the Gravermach, or in the Gravermach itself. But --- it acts like the Gravermach is seeing pressure from a small volume (like the volume in the orange hoses at the compressor) that is exhausted by the Gravermach operation and is not made up via the regulator so I think the regulator is a good place to look. The filter associated with the regulator looks like it may have some material in it, that could also affect regulator operation -- might need a new filter element.

Last edited:

Silverling

I tried connecting the air directly to the gravermach and it was still having thr same issue, so it must not be from there where its blocked.

I'll have to try and look at some of the filters, though I'm not entirely sure how to do that, and I'd rather not just fiddle around with it because that would probably break something. Could you tell me how, please?

TallGary

Can you get the regulator manufacturer's name and model number from the compressor filter/regulator? Not all manufacturers do things the same way.

BarryB

A couple thoughts... Perhaps a union inside the machine is compromised (loose fitting or tubing split). You are running at 10psi and may not hear a leak on the inside of the machine. Maybe an easy way to check is to turn it up to 30psi and see if you hear anything then.

TallGary

You should be able to unscrew the clear plastic filter housing from the metal body of the filter/regulator. Page 15 of the instruction manual (which was linked in an earlier posting) gives a hint in figure 8. Pay close attention to the dis-assembly order so that you can get it back together...
If the filter element is coated, deformed, or damaged in any way it will need to be replaced. It should be smooth and dry. Do not allow any particles to get into the regulator at the top of the assembly. Clean out the interior of the clear filter housing. The photograph shows some liquid and debris in the filter that should be cleaned out.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It still seems to me that there is a line obstructed somewhere. The next step would be to check the regulator in the mach. Remove the top cover 4 screws and remove cover. Mark the hoses on the regulator so you know where they go. Remove the hoses and then "backflush" the regulator for a few minutes. Put it back together and try again.

Silverling

Yea I'm going to have to see what's up inside the gravermach I think. I did clean the filter (it was really gross, the compressor seems to be running a little better now, actually! ) though the gravermach still seems to be having issues keeping pressure.

I've actually noticed while fiddling with in the last few minutes that trying to increase the pressure on the gravermach gauge itself doesn't seem to be doing much. I can't really get it to go much higher than 10psi when I have the compressor set at 80.

Here's another video showing what's up. Note that I currently have it hooked directly into the air line. (Also i forgot to turn off my music so you might hear that, oops) Though unfortunately trying any suggestions are going to have to wait till I come back to work on Monday, assuming I don't have too many customer repairs to work on.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Clean,dry air is required for all the air driven engraver tools. This will keep your tools running longer and better.
From the video ,I see what looks like the oil coalising filter you also need a separate moisture trap. Also ones a week drain the compressor tank.
If you are in a humid area all the more important good luck keep cutting

TallGary

Back flush the regulator. Looks like the suspect.

Or one of the fittings or tubing runs attached to the "tank" in the Gravermach. Make certain all of the quick fittings and tubing runs are well made up. Check the tubing for any discoloration or cracking. And if your Gravermach has a tee fitting in the internal line that runs from the air source fitting to the pressure regulator, make certain that the tubing and fittings are tight and the stopper plug is in place in the external port. Check to be sure the line to the pressure gage is the one with the "snubber" in it --it is easy to see inside the tubing. All of the other tubing runs should be unobstructed.

At this point, it probably would not hurt to flow check the hose from the compressor. Disconnect from the back of the Gravermach, hold the tubing end in a container -- maybe an empty milk jug -- close the valve on the hose, turn on the compressor and pressure up the tank, then turn it off. Open the valve slowly all the way (take 2-3 seconds to ease it open), see if you get the kind of air flow expected and look to see if there is any oil captured in the container.

Last edited:

Silverling

Alright, I wasn't really able to work on at it yesterday, though I did open up the top and take a look inside for a bit. I didn't see anything obvious in the tubes so I don't think those are the problem.

I'd like to try the backflushing thing though I'm not entirely sure how to do that... Could you explain it to me by chance?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark and remove the hoses from the regulator. One of the hoses comes from the back of the machine which is the "inlet". The other hose is the "outlet". Take the hose directly from the compressor (at 45-60 psi) and attach to the "outlet". Leave the "inlet" open and let air run through the regulator for a few minutes. That may blow out any junk in the regulator.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi, Silverling, where are you located? maybe somebody with more experience could swing by and take a look...

Silverling

So I tried flushing out the regulator, let it go for several minutes and tried again... The gravermach still seems to be having the same issue. I might try letting it go a little longer to see if that helps.

I honestly don't know what could be wrong at this point. The tubes look fine and unobstructed, nothing's leaking, everything's connected the way it should. I'm rather baffled at this situation....

Silverling

Hi, Silverling, where are you located? maybe somebody with more experience could swing by and take a look...

Oh, I live in Arizona, though I'm not sure if I'm comfortable mentioning where I work on a public forum...

TallGary

So I tried flushing out the regulator, let it go for several minutes and tried again... The gravermach still seems to be having the same issue. I might try letting it go a little longer to see if that helps.

I honestly don't know what could be wrong at this point. The tubes look fine and unobstructed, nothing's leaking, everything's connected the way it should. I'm rather baffled at this situation....

Have you tried flow checking the line to the Gravermach? What else is hooked up to the compressor -- looks like there are two orange hoses connected.

Last edited:

Silverling

Have you tried flow checking the line to the Gravermach? What else is hooked up to the compressor -- looks like there are two orange hoses connected.

Yeah, I've checked that line, the air flow is fine from it. The compressor has two lines, one to the gravermach and one that's open that can be used for a bead blaster or whatever else, but both lines have a valve between them thst can be turned on or off, so the other line I always have off.

Latest posts

Sponsors