Completed floorplate

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My completed floorplate from my Advanced Engraving Class at GRS this week.

The photo (2 exposures) was taken in my hotel room with the floorplate laying on a chair seat and using my iPad for lighting.

IMG_5913-sm.jpg

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, your engraving is beautiful a usual but your photography is superb! :thumbsup:

How much Photoshop have you put there?

Cheers!
Leonardo

Sam

Staff member
Sam, your engraving is beautiful a usual but your photography is superb! :thumbsup:

How much Photoshop have you put there?

Cheers!
Leonardo

Thanks Leonardo! I shot two 10-second photos with my camera using my iPad to illuminate the floorplate, then I merged the two shots in Photoshop. Really pretty simple and easy :)

Here's my hotel room photo studio.

hotel_room_studio.jpg

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Oh yes, Sam! That's great...
But that involve some things (camera, tripod, illumination, Photoshop, computer...) and, of course, the knowledge to arrange all of that...
Sooo, no so "pretty simple and easy" imo :)

Nice tripod, by the way.
Leonardo

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Yep. Really beautiful that. I know very little about photography and as such struggle to get decent photographs. I really must find time to read up on some of the great tutorials on the site. Thinking about it I really struggle to get decent engravings! Better go and read up on those tutorials too. How many hours would you say went into engraving that from start to finish Sam?

mrthe

Sam one question , are this plates the ones that GRS have for sale to practice?

Sam

Staff member
Yep. Really beautiful that. I know very little about photography and as such struggle to get decent photographs. I really must find time to read up on some of the great tutorials on the site. Thinking about it I really struggle to get decent engravings! Better go and read up on those tutorials too. How many hours would you say went into engraving that from start to finish Sam?

Phil: It took me all week to engrave in the classroom, and I had cut the outlines at home.

Sam

Staff member
Sam one question , are this plates the ones that GRS have for sale to practice?

Paolo: We purchased these from Williams Firearms. They are actual rifle floor plates and not the practice plates GRS sells.

Sam

Staff member
Oh yes, Sam! That's great...
But that involve some things (camera, tripod, illumination, Photoshop, computer...) and, of course, the knowledge to arrange all of that...
Sooo, no so "pretty simple and easy" imo :)

Nice tripod, by the way.
Leonardo

If you saw me do it you'd see that it's not very difficult.
The tripod is a Sirui carbon fiber travel tripod. It's the lightest and strongest I've found for traveling, and this one has LOTS of miles on it :D

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Once again I'm reminded that I must learn this photographic technique. Really is brilliant. I would assume one doesn't need photoshop to finish photos shot like this? A single shot, not the merge of course.
Layne

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
It was a great opportunity to watch Sam engrave this floor plate. Thank you Sam for putting on a class to the level that you did.
:tiphat:
Sandy

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Absolutely gorgeous layout. Isn't it time to stop practicing Sam... :) Something this nice should be on a finished gun.

Latest posts

Sponsors