comic book drawing

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i would describe this engraving as looking like a comic book drawing.
i am guess that the lack of beveled cuts is what some of the problem is.(the red dot areas)
or maybe the leaves are to fat.
what do you think:thinking:

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
You need to make your shade lines taper more so that where they terminate it becomes black rather then add a bunch of lines afterwards. Now it goes from grey to black with no transition. Before it was all grey.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Try using less shade lines with a nice taper. The longer the shade line the more gradual the taper. I have noticed that people equate good shading with number of shade lines they cut. The reality is that fewer shade lines done well produces a better look and gives what your shading more form.

The problem with too many shade lines is that you will not concentrate on cutting the correct taper. With the correct taper to the cut you cannot fit more lines within the space.

A good exercise to try is to cut a design and see how few shade lines you can cut to give it form. Post a simple design for people to use to shade and let people shade your design the way they would I will be glad to participate.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Chris,
I thank you as we'll for that advise. I will try that suggestion as once you said that, I realized I am very guilty of that very thing. Sam tried to beat some shading knowledge into me, but I find myself sliding back into what you described.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Despite all the very good responses and advices I like what I see. It is a very pleasant design for my eyes. Are you following Chris' suggestion to post your empty design to have it shaded?

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lenny is driving down the road right now so what a better time to comment. I like the outboard areas of engraving. It has a nice 3D look to it. Shawn has come along way lately. It will be interesting to see his work during the next year.

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i hope i can make this engraving look like childs play in 3 months!
i have the best engravers in the world right here on the forum tossing me their ideas.....all i have to do is keep that info. and remember to use it.
ONCE MORE.......thanks for all your help and comments....i am gaining ground.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Just gets better

SHAWN that is sweet I love see each of your job and my DIDDY folder is filling keep them coming :thumbsup:
Ray

i am gaining ground. comment god help us when you think you have got there !!!! :biggrin:

Last edited: