Coloring techniques??

MRoyse

For a long while I have greatly admired a Engravers work (Kiselev engraver) and the art he creates on Zippo lighters, recently he was asked how he goes about the different coloring as it is not inly copper etc and his answer was very vague. I have been researching how to color metal with not much success until stumbling across gilding paste , currently experimenting with that. anyone have any other methods? thank you all in advance

jswanswan

Electroplating would be one way. It involves running an electric current through the work while it's submerged in some acid baths, to build up molecules of the plated metal on the host metal. The solutions are specific to different metal combinations.

There are pen style plating setups where you run a current through the piece and apply the plating solution through a saturated felt electric wand.

Maybe he cuts out thin sheets and silver solders them on before doing the cutting? So hard to tell from the little pictures on Instagram. I'd love to hold a piece in hand to examine it.

Sponsors