Color Engraving Technique

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
I invented color engraving over 12 years ago and nobody in the world has yet to figure out how to do it! I am getting older and my hands are not in such good shape anymore and I would hate to see the cool technique disappear with me forever. Prospective students would have to be very good at the dot technique as well as a bit of line work. Students I teach this too will have to come to my shop and we will engrave a complete piece, subject matter of your choice. We will do a complete color engraving and I will explain all the little tricks and secrets I didnt put into my article on it in David Darom's first book on custom folders. This will be fairly expensive as nobody has been able to copy this look or technique in over a decade.

Anyone that is good enough at dot technique bulino and leaves no untouched metal. There is no pure white in nature so there should be dots cut into even the lightest areas, just smaller and spread out a bit more and not as deep.
So please let me know if you would like to carry on a technique I truely would hate to see it leave this world completely when I go.

Or maybe someone could help me write a nice book on the whole process with good photography doing an entire process with a lot of good photos.

Last edited:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wish I could take you up on this offer, but I am just not far enough along. Not even close. Perhaps in 10 years, if I don't sleep at night. I am sure some student will be in a position pass on your knowledge. A book would benefit all engravers, and earn respect from everyone, including collectors, for generations to come. Take care, Seth

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Tim, I love your stuff and have often wondered how you do it. But right now I'm just loving inking my engraving w black... Although I need to see some of your stuff close up, hopefully one day.
Jeff

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, It's funny you started this thread, Johnny Stout called me while I was at work today wanting me to engrave a folder for him and he's wanting color in it. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about and couldn't think of any being done except for Michael Walkers anodized titanium bolsters with several different colors on the same piece. I don't know why your work didn't pop right in my mind. I've been an admirer of your work for years & years. But I'm kinda like Jeff & Seth, I don't feel I am at a level to where I could do it. I'm not doing bulino at all yet. I hope I can get to the point to do it before you quit on your offer. Thanks for the thread.

Dwayne

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Dwayne would you refer him to me or ask him to call me if he wants some color engraving? I can actually work him in immediately. Thanks

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll call him in the morning, He's already got the knife en route to me at this time. I should be getting it tomorrow or Friday.

Dwayne

Latest posts

Sponsors