Coin carving final finish

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
So my last couple of coin carvings have been a little on the shiny side... One buyer's comment was that it was a little brighter then the others in his collection. My details are on the delicate side and I don't want to do anything too aggressive to matte it out.

Just wondering: What do you do to finish your coins?

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Generally, I use a brass brush before slowly applying some heat for a patina. Then, just a small dab of rubbing compound to take off the highlights. This can be done a few times to deepen the contrast. (See recent example below) Some use a sand/bead blast, and use paint to darken the low areas for contrast. I don't like using paint on coins, but it will make for a finish with a lot of contrast.

Attachments

• Hobo11-3.jpg
    Hobo11-3.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 101

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Speedball 3550 oil base printers ink at your local art store, put as much or little as you like drys in about 3 hrs can be removed with alcohol:thumbs up:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Paasche air eraser with their coarsest grit will take the shine off. Just a quick hit to dull it down a bit.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the Paasche air eraser but I prefer pumice. It darkens the coin but doesn't obliterate any fine detail. A final buff with the thumb polishes of the highlights. Someone I know uses very fine glass beads but I couldn't get on with them and didn't like the finish they gave. Finish is a very subjective thing and there seem to be as many methods as there are of carving.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I use the Paasche air eraser but I prefer pumice.

This is similar to what I was thinking of trying when the time comes only I was thinking of trying baking soda. I haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet but I bet it could give a very slight frost such as some new coins will have.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Worth a try Doc, see what you think. When I tried it it seemed a little too light on the finish for me but it might suit you. To anyone who chooses to try an air eraser do use it with caution. It's easy to eradicate fine detail so better to work slowly than to give it a good sandblasting!

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus and others,
Glass beads will break on impact if the PSI is too high; so be careful about your pressure.

I also like powered pumice very much: I use a broken down toothbrush dipped in water then in pumice and lightly brush the surface; light pressure in this instance is more effective.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors