Cobalt Wedding Rings

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not me-- but that sounds like a nasty project. i hope i'm wrong on this.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cobalt chrome is really hard stuff. Similar to tungsten wedding bands. Basically it's a whiter looking "scratch-proof" material. We sell a lot of these alternative bands due to the price point. Some folks don't like the dark color of the tungsten so they end up with the cobalt chrome because it has that white color.

I believe Scott Kay was the first big designer offering it. Their big claim to fame was that you can't shatter cobalt chrome like tungsten. In the 100's of tungsten rings I've sold I've only had 1 customer break a tungsten ring.

As for engraving...forget about it! It will absolutely laugh at HSS tools and I doubt carbide will work either. If HSS won't cut it, you can pretty much write it off as not possible.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
You could project it into subspace and engrave it with a narrow pattern particle extrusion chisel. You will have to wait 70 years for the equipment and you will need a security clearance as it will be classified for 20 more, are you in a hurry?;)

Bob

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Bert

I appreciate you sharing your info with me. I was thinking of buying one of these rings to test it out my self which I really did not want to do. You have saved me enough money that I can buy a couple more of Sams DVD's and other tools. (I just bought one of Chris D.'s RinGenie and I love it. )
Thanks again for the info

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Bert

I have another question for you. I just finished engraving a set of Silver Wedding bands The engraving turned out beautiful and it was a pleasure to engrave. I charge the same price weather it be gold or silver wedding bands. From the price I have seen on the internet for these Cobalt rings Why are people not going for Silver or Titanium wedding bands.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Silver has many perceived negatives in regards to wedding bands. It's not very durable. Soft. Scratches easily. It tarnishes. All this gives the perception of a metal that is "temporary."

Titanium has similar perceptions. It's very light which to some feels fake. It scratches. Muddy gray color.

The tungsten and cobalt rings appeal because you basically can't scratch them. This fact alone creates the notion of a permanent ring. This is very important in a wedding ring. It's not just a piece of metal. It's a personal token or reminder of their love and commitment.

I will note that I sell these mainly to grooms. In fact I dont think I've ever sold one for the bride. The bride always gets previous metal, usually with diamonds, and matching their engagement ring. On average the brides rings are $1200-1500, while the grooms ring averages $300-500. The price points have remained fairly consistent over the last 10 years, the items that fit those price points have changed significantly.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Cobalt is very trendy right now. I guess I'd be selling it if I had a jewelry store, but it's not a precious metal and has absolutely zero resale value. But it's trendy, that's for sure.

Engraving it? Forget it.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
about a year and a half ago a friend of my wife's asked me about engraving a cobalt band (Scott Kay?) for her hubby-to-be. i checked with the company- no way with conventional tools. i assume they use laser etching at the factory for their various designs & markings. i don't know if they'll do custom inscriptions, but you could ask.

BlaineA

I work in a jewelry store as a bench person/ engraver/ sales / cad designer and every time I am at the men's wedding band case I try and sell people on some something other than the cobalt chrome or the tungsten. But the guys love the idea that it won't scratch and that in theory it stay looking new for years. Which I can tell you is not the truth the tungsten has a tendency to get some funny spots on it after exposure to some chemical or another that the guy doesn't remember doing. What I hate most about these rings is no matter how many times you tell a customer that you can't size them and they will have to exchange it for a new ring if their finger changes size they always are a little upset when they have to part with their wedding band for a new one on size exchange. And I don't know if my customers are different than the other person on this thread but I have had a good handful of people bring back broken tungsten rings. I just can't wait for this trend to go away/

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
This has been very interesting. I to hope that the Cobalt trend goes away. Though that will only happen when the sales and marketing gets a different trend. I still as a guy like a heavy silver ring engraved, Even stainless is a viable option. I am finding that more and more customers in my area are turning back to the old ways of doing things like Hand engraving vers Machine engraving. I had someone in my Studio the other day and their comment on why having me hand engrave their item was they wanted something they could pass on to the next generation.
Thanks everyone for the info.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I fully agree, but you give what they want. I try to sell gold rings first always. Alot of it really comes down to price point though. A $150-350 ring today used to be a gold band 15 years ago. Today the same gold band is more like $500-800.

Tungsten is easy to get off. Apply compression to the band (meaning put in a vice and tighten). The metal will shatter. Cobalt you'd better have a diamond sawblade on hand.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
People think these things must be ok if a jewellers store stocks them.

It`s not doing the trade any favours.

Latest posts

Sponsors