classic sapphire ring

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
This a classic Sapphire ring made from 18 karat Gold i finished yesterday. But why do i show it here? Well since I am using the GraverMach it has become a real time saver. Usually it would take me more than a hour to set the stone, clean up the outer bevel and stipple the background with a hammer and a needle (my previous way to do this :hammer: ).

With the GraverMach this work only takes 20 minutes - I also cut the the outer bevel with a flat because it is deeper than the framing border of the ring. Filing the outer bevel would be very inconvenient. So this tool becomes essential more and more in my studio.

saphir-ring.jpg

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Nice looking ring Mario. With larger stones like that I still usually use a hammer and punch. Over time though I am venturing out more into a broader range of stones. I do like the pneumatic for some odd stuff that is hard to hammer. Generally I still feel more control with a hammer if I am setting like an emerald.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very good looking work, mario. you always do such neat looking jewelry !

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for looking at it!

...Generally I still feel more control with a hammer if I am setting like an emerald.
I felt the same - but this turned to the opposite since I use the combination of pneumatic tool and a microscope. Now it feels like coating the stones with butter - no matter if the alloy is hard or soft.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for looking at it!

I felt the same - but this turned to the opposite since I use the combination of pneumatic tool and a microscope. Now it feels like coating the stones with butter - no matter if the alloy is hard or soft.

I have to completely agree. Plus I think you have a more controlled and predictable hammering with the pneumatic. It sure makes cleanup after hammering much easier.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, indeed looks nice and sure you are a High End goldsmith.
However I was wondering why the stippled border isn’t parallel with the stone and setting, as there is more space on top and bottom than on the sides. Could be an optical misinterpretation of me.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors