Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
I had my phone interview yesterday for the position of Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint. I was very nervous and stammered through my answers to the stock questions they asked. I may not have much of a chance since I'm not at all familiar with their new methods of sculpting in digital clay, but I have always felt they could use a hand engraver in that position, if for no other reason than tradition. Also, I still think there are certain little things that we can do that a machine can't.

I won't be heart broken if I don't get the job, because it would mean moving away from this neat little artist community to the big city of Philadelphia. I've got a pretty good life here playing dobro and carving hobo nickels.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you have the job, the job was created for you, if not, be happy as it would be probably a job you would not like to do.
And never get nervous, always just be yourself, talk the way you do daily etc. I just want to tell you that getting nervous happens when you are not totally yourself.

arnaud

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys! Arno... you're right on the money! :) I really thought I was going to be alright, but I let the gravity of the situation get the best of me and was not able to sleep the night before. It became too important to me for some reason, and the atmosphere of the conference call was really nerve-wracking because I could not interact as I normally would. I could not get a read, and the long silence after my answers was really un-nerving. They were just taking notes after each answer. Oh well, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
First Congratulations for the interview! That is a accomplishment in it's self. It's always hard to take on a new position and everyone has the jitters! I wish you the best of luck.
Gary Rohrbaugh

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Ron,
You are certainly deserving, and like you I do believe having an actual engraver at the Mint is just what it needs. Wouldn't it be great to to see the Mint produce some coins ( even if limited ) from dies engraved by human hands? Now there's a thought. Also ( and please no debates, this is from expierience ), it really is true that the human hand can do things that even the most sofisticated technology cannot. It is close yes, but the tools in Ron's hands can apply fine detail that machines don't. Good luck Ron. There is no telling what the powers that be will decide, but you are a special talent in my book.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good luck Ron
You would be a asset to the mint,your work speaks for it's self and if the powers that be can't see that it will be their loss.

Last edited:

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you so much for your encouraging remarks. The PM that Steve Adams sent me was very enlightening and gives me a sense that indeed I could be of good addition to the engraving staff at the Mint. I also want everyone to know that during my interview, I recommended Steve Adams as the only other hand engraver I felt could fill that position. Maybe not a smart thing to do if I really want the job, but this is how passionate I am about filling the position with a real engraver.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, I hope you are lucky, I say that because sometimes it's not about how good you are that counts! I also hope that you showed them your work!

Phil

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, I think you nailed the head; often top jobs are not filled with the best candidates, as that one could be too good and too smart.
In my opinion, on those kind of jobs they don’t need the ones with the most know how, as they have less know how and that could be a problem. So I know what kind of person they need, but sure it is not one like me.

arnaud

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Yo, I really hope you get the position. I live in Philly and sure could use some of your expertise. Think positive. I'm saying a prayer for you.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words Ron, but I think the Mint would be wise to seek a person such as yourself. Looks like many of us agree here that you should combine the old and new. As die engravers are becoming a thing of the past, it would be nice to preserve these skills before they are gone completely. Dare I say perhaps even an apprentice? The Mint should embrace it's roots, and meld it with the modern. I believe the public would like it, and it doesn't hurt to have some good PR.

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
I think you're spot on again Steve. I think every engraver there should have a basic working knowledge of how to hold and work a push graver even if they don't become proficient at it. On the other side of that coin (pun intended) I should learn the new techniques. The more tools we have in our box, the more options are available. Also, as a public relations gesture, I think a little "Old World" craftsmanship still is attractive to most people. That was a major part of my marketing when I was C.E. at Gallery Mint. My shtick as it were. Most coin collectors would agree. And after all, those are the folks that count when it comes to sales of collectibles. Computer technologies to create art just doesn't sound very romantic no matter how good it actually is.

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
I didn't get the job. My guess would be that it will go to an established Mint engraver with the most seniority. The interview really felt like they had already made up their minds and were just going through the motions. In fact, they never did even ask to see my portfolio. I guess I won't be needing that haircut I was contemplating. ;) It was fun to fantasize about, but in reality I don't think I would have liked it there. I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That's the way Equal Opportunity employers get around hiring who they want by making it look like they searched far and wide.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
It is true. Doc hit it right on the head. Minds are made up before the position is filled sorry to say. The sad part is, the government is very good at wasting people's time. They have to follow proper procedure regardless of who it hurts.