Charles daly 20 Bore.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is interesting! The scrollwork on the barrels is a completely different style than the scrolls on the receiver! The workmanship seems above reproach, but I wonder about the style change.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
John,I believe that gun was at the Vintage's gun fair at Pintail Point Queensland Md. in German Gun Collectors booth. J.J.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
While the styles are different, they also share a lot of similarities and look like they were done by the same guy. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Todd

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The engraving on that gun is typical of all the H.A. Lindner made Charles Daley Regent Diamond’s I have examined. I feel certain that the same man engraved them all but I haven't pinned down who it was yet. I will eventually ask Hendrik Frühauf in Germany. If anyone knows, he does.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger !!!!!!
You are fortunate to have friends all over the engraving world.

Sooo, you think it was an individual style? Or ,an school,regional,?
You have said many times,how it is very hard/impossible to tell individual engravers styles from Austria/Germany , maybe this is the exception ?

I anxiously await the answer to the mystery...........

michael

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While the individual elements of the design are Germanic (these guns were made in Suhl), these guns were done to a pattern for each different grade of Daley, the Regent Diamond being the highest. Some of the elements, like the beads along the backbones of the scrolls, I have only seen on Lindner made Daleys. Some pre-WWII Daleys were made by J. P. Sauer (also in Suhl) and the engraving patterns on those are somewhat different from the Lindner guns.

These pre-WWII Daleys are known to collectors as "Prussian" Daleys to differentiate them from all the other guns imported by Charles Daley. BTW, Charles Daley is an importer and not a gun maker. The original company was known as Shoverling, Daley, & Gales which sold sporting goods. They chose the name of partner Charles Daley to brand their imported guns similar to the way that Sears chose the name J. C. Higgins to brand the guns they sold.

Sponsors