Cat and stone arch

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Just came across this photo I took back in the 70's, south side of Chicago. This is the type of stonework I grew up looking at. However, it's the cat that makes the photo...

Attachments

• East_50th_st-70s.jpg
    East_50th_st-70s.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 314

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yeah, cute cat. great stone art as well. our local courthouse is just crammed to capacity with stone carvings. outside & inside. paintings, sculpture, and stained glass to name a few. the work looks back to a time when the arts were much more appreciated than today. economies, technology, and a few other factors have all seen to the decline in the use of real art in the planning and construction of new buildings. thankfully, as older buildings are demolished, there are those that save the paintings, sculpture, and beautiful woodwork.
the world is truly blessed to have people like you that are still able to produce work of this nature. my hope is that you and those with your skills can can impart such to many in the younger generation.

Gargoyle

Romantic pigeons rather than relaxed cats, but the ornamentation could be interesting for engraving.
Pienza, Italy two weeks ago. Sam, some day we should meet up on that side of the pond.
pienza-pigeons.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Romantic pigeons rather than relaxed cats, but the ornamentation could be interesting for engraving.
Pienza, Italy two weeks ago. Sam, some day we should meet up on that side of the pond.

Indeed we should. We normally go every October.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
So you claim. However, I was there in October and I didn't see you.

:shock:

Florence, Siena, Orvieto, Civita, Volterra, Certaldo (I did a presentation to an art college there), Arezzo, and I'm leaving a town or two out. Sorry we missed each other!

Gargoyle

Florence, Siena, Orvieto, Civita, Volterra, Certaldo (I did a presentation to an art college there), Arezzo, and I'm leaving a town or two out. Sorry we missed each other!
I made it to Florence and Arezzo a couple weeks ago. You were definitely keeping a low profile (despite what your avatar photo looks like).
We also made it to Pienza, Montepulciano, Cortona, Genoa (of course) and a few other places...

Attached photo was in Arezzo. Do these give you any ideas?
Arezzo-shields.jpg

monk

Staff member
one could go there and simply stare at the building for a shift or two !

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ask and you shall receive...some scroll from the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia.

Attachments

• Hermitage Museum-scroll-2-cu.jpg
    Hermitage Museum-scroll-2-cu.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Hermitage Museum-scroll-2.jpg
    Hermitage Museum-scroll-2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 75

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Leuven Flanders city hall BrabantineGothic style

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Is any wonder that our fellow artists & engraver across the bond are so good at the arts and what they do,there seconded by art every were they go.All I see here in the U.S. is glass & steel in our architecture,just my two cents. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors