Question: Case Harden Color Removal

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Roger,I always removed both chemical and oven case color by hand polishing with wet & dry paper.Don't know of any chemical remover. J.J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On one of the forums there is a sample of a gun,If I recall correctly it had been French grayed using traditional method on the case colored portion. It was quit striking. I will try and find a pic if I can. Fred

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Acid base toilet bowl cleaner will remove the case colors and leave a French grey. This is a mild hydrochloric acid but still use rubber gloves and good ventilation ,Eye protection etc,the brand I use around here is called The Works

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Dave,Sounds like a quicker way to remove the case color,but don't you still have to hand polish? J.J.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi JJ
No just rub the solution on the item with a rag or degreased 0000 steel wool, rinse well with baking soda and , use very hot water,dry and then I coat with Rig, leaves a soft grey finish.
I learned this trick from a friend whom used to work for C.Sharps Arms

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, what is Rig and where can it be purchased?

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Guy's
I have a Fox Sterlingworth in for engraving....the receiver is nearly white....There was a little color left where the trigger guard attached to the receiver and Lysol brand TB cleaner took the color off....the owner of the gun said that he had it re-case hardened.....the gun is not glass hard and test cuts show the gun to be engravable without annealing it.....this lead me to belive that maybe the gun was really case colored with a cyanide type blue.
when I'm done with the engraving the owner wants the receiver case hardened and would like the bulino scene "French Greyed"

Roger Henrichs

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Lee
Rig gun grease can be bought at Brownells , if you don't have a account with them it is easy to get one and receive wholesale prices, I use a old top of a wool sock rub the Rig into the sock well and it gives a nice smooth and not too thick coat of the grease,store in a zip lock bag.
Duh also this just removes the color not the case hardening, the item will still retain the hardness

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Dave,Your right,I use Rig on all my gun parts laying around the shop,got to keep that rust from the guns.There's only two ememys to our guns ,rust & politicans.:tiphat:J.J.

Last edited:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Most any mild acid will remove CC and blueing. Brownells blue remover works and Naval Jelly (used to remove light rust) is a product I also like as it leaves a nice "grey" finish that seems to inhibit after rusting. Like the others that made recommendation a light coating of some rust preventative is always a good shop practice and "RIG" is as good as it comes.

Another Roger

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Acid base toilet bowl cleaner will remove the case colors and leave a French grey. This is a mild hydrochloric acid but still use rubber gloves and good ventilation ,Eye protection etc,the brand I use around here is called The Works

Thanks

Carlos De La O III

ahfox20

First post. Flitz creme will remove case coloring using just a white piece of cotton and rubbing. Friend of mine accidentally removed all the case coloring off a Merkel SXS shotgun in about ten minutes.

Latest posts

Sponsors