Question: Carbide Gravers

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all. I need to know if it is safe to shape carbide on a carborundum grindstone. I have briefly touched a carbide graver on a carborundum grindstone and it seemed very little metal was removed. I do not want one of these stones shattering in my face so am I ok to use this or do I need diamond laps. Thank you for your help.
Edit. Has anyone managed to attach a diamond lap to a traditional grindstone for rough shaping. I do not have the money for a diamond lap system so am trying to figure out a cheap and safe way to use carbide.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

On a bench grinder ordinary wheels won't grind carbide very well. Down here I use what is called a "green wheel"..........no idea what it is but the guy from the hardware store recommended it and it works well. However it strips the wheel quite savagely. Diamond would be better.

If using a power hone then use a Gator wheel as that removes metal fast.

Or you could use a new 1.8mm C-Max graver from GRS. They require little shaping. I used them almost exclusively in Baselworld and I'm a big convert. Remember to buy the special QC holder for them. These gravers are the Ducks Nuts!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
on a budget too low, get some small diamond sharpeners for doing knives, fishooks, etc. they will shape your carbides without draining your bank account. unfortunately, most things we do is done easily & rapidly. but then with the ease, comes price. check the tips section on sharpening. much to be learned there.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
As Andrew says, normal grinding wheels on a bench grinder don't work for carbide.

I once attempted to hog out a Carbide graver on one of these wheels, and all I achieved was a very shiny stump.

I then found a supplier of very low grit (180), low cost, diamond wheels on the mighty 'fleabay', and apart from smelling like a cheap chinese fumigated container ship, they worked really well, taking just a couple of minutes to hog out an entire carbide graver. I had it attached to a mandrel on a pillar drill.
Then used my GRS diamond laps to do the final grinding on the power hone.

Jo

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use the tormek diamond wheel on my jet sharpener. Had to build a little shim to make it run true. But it's great.
But just some diamond benchsones will do the trick. All you need is patience.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
If you are looking to do rough grinding or to shape a graver Andrew hit the nail on the head. A silicon carbide wheel or green wheel as they can be referred to work very well. They will shape any tungsten or carbide bit or graver, this is the same wheel used in many machine shops to touch up a tool bit. Precision facets will probably need to be done using a diamond lap or good stone. Green wheels are available at any machining tool supplier..try ENCO as a suggestion

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your responses. For now I will shape manually by hand on my diamond stone until I can get a lap. I am going to make a mandrel to use the lap with my drill press to keep costs down.

Latest posts

Sponsors