Cape Buffalo

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Here are the photos of the process of A2 steel die cutting of Cape Buffalo. Utility wax moistures with saliva is used for checking image.
The first drawing is done with needle.
Taking material with rounded chisel.

Burs and micromotor for modeling:

Utility wax test.

more details

Test stamping in Sterling:

Final strike. The die is etched with Nitric acid for softened details.

http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/paulius1/media/IMG_7260_zps748e37fe.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Scale is metric.
Die is ready for heat treating.

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What ton press do you need to get that kind of detail? I'm guessing my 20 ton Bonny Doon won't cut that mustard.

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
The hydraulic press is 50 tons, I build it by myself. Also I have 100 ton for bigger size work.
First one cost me some $500.- , second one $1,300.-
Bonny Doon is week, the area between two pillars is to wide.

The 50 tons:

100tons:

Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Paul, thank for the step by step pictures, very nice work.
I had a buddy years ago who made coin dies, and have wanted to try something similar. I made my own press a few years ago out of 3x3 inch square tube, the jack is a 30 ton, do you think it would be large enough for the job?
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 302

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Paul,Very interesting and thank you for contributing you knowledge to the forum.Keep up the good work. J.J.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the step by step pictures. Finished pieces are nice to look at, but I really enjoy seeing how things come together. That is a serious press by the way.

Last edited:

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
To golden forge:

It is enough up to nickel size. Every extra millimeter needs to increase the tonnage. My previous 50 ton cracked down after attempt to produce 33 mm medallion in 18K gold.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
quite interesting, to say the least, paul. what are you going to do with this? is this for a private client or medallions? can the final press be used as an overlay if pressed in thin stock ?

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
quite interesting, to say the least, paul. what are you going to do with this? is this for a private client or medallions? can the final press be used as an overlay if pressed in thin stock ?
It is a part of a private commission for cuff link project.
The 100 ton press could be used for making positive image in steel, which can duplicate the original one if needed.

Last edited:

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very much Paul for showing all this!!! Very nice work!! I have 50 ton flypress in my garage which i bought for doing similar jobs but i don't have the place to install the press.. Maybe your way of doing it with a hydraulic one is a good solution!!

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very much Paul for showing all this!!! Very nice work!! I have 50 ton flypress in my garage which i bought for doing similar jobs but i don't have the place to install the press.. Maybe your way of doing it with a hydraulic one is a good solution!!
Fly presses are huge, but good for fast job. Hydraulics are very compact and easy to operate and transport. However 100 ton is to heavy to drag to the basement, it settled in garage.

Latest posts

Sponsors