cantle plate

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
there are things i would change if i had to do this over again.
there is one scroll that got hit with a big dose of weed killer and a few others that got to feeling sorry for him...:eek:
with the next one i will be able to improve:tiphat:

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn,

Very nice cutting effect! I like your use of dot punch background on this piece.

Been giving some thought to Martin's observation, regarding the bare backbone and origin of the scrolls. Most engravers elect to have a point of origin in the design, as in your recent belt buckle, where the origin is the flower and everything flows from it. As I wrote, I do find your design attractive, all of your designs in fact, yet Martin is right, a lot of the scrolls and elements do seem to grow randomly out the 'soil' of the background, like plants springing up from the ground. Yet, I still find it attractive, so why is not random scroll pattern a 'legitimate' style? I am too much of a light weight in this matter, but I sure would love Martin and some of the other experienced masters to post more on this subject. Your design is loaded with lots of interesting elements, Shawn, I hope some one will weigh in so I could broaden my understanding. Basically, here is where I am at, I know that having a backbone origin in a design works, all other factors being well drawn, yet when can these rules be consciously broken to good effect?

I should add here that I had the privilege of attending Martin's Grand Master course, although a bit out of my depth, I found Martin's preparation homework exercises, and his teaching to be nothing short of superb.

best

Rod

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
shawn
I like very much as always your work to me I think I would like it even if it had got to the decompossed state maybe you could do a series DEAD WEED SCROLLS theme could be a shading challange :thumbsup:
Ray

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Better and Better

SHAWN
They just get better and better !! Man I do love your scroll leaf style :thumbsup:
keep them coming I now look forward to your every post .
Excellent work.
ray

Latest posts

Sponsors