Cantle Conchos

spadebit

My home is in the central California mountains, a
This is a nail down style Concho that will be placed on the back of the cantle on a saddle. This Concho, made in sterling and 3" diameter has a dome hieght of 3/8 inch, its rather like engraving a golf ball. Tow of these in a row would make being water-boarded seem kind'a nice for a change. The entire item is done in single point again, and entirely under the scope. All background is removed and then stippled and inked. Guess I should talk about that, I have tried in ernest to do my best with finger print ink, black paint, india ink.........but really could never come up with the look I wanted and had a heck of a mess as well. So, I tried a permanenet Marker, set it under an incandescent light over night, then removed the surface with a Pink Pearl eraser. It seems to give me the best results thus far, with the least mess. With regard to my vee gravers, I really like the 105, I also used a 90 and a 75 degree quite a litle on this item. For re-cutting my pattern edges I use a hevily modified #39 flat with the belly ground away- I am guessing this feels good to me since I use flats far more than other tools on my bench.

Attachments

• R2A-NEVADA-CTL-CONCHO-A.JPG
    R2A-NEVADA-CTL-CONCHO-A.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 272

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
That is really nice work. It reminds me of some of the leather carving I've seen on Miles City Saddles from the late 1800's. I appreciate your sharing.

You might try Birchwood Casey - Super Blue, Liquid Gun Blue (it's a cold blue) as a variation on black backgrounds. It leaves a nice antique patina as well. It's kind of a dark gray. The black your using looks good. I'm going to give it a try on the piece I'm working on.

John

Last edited:

spadebit

I use SHARPIE brand permanenet marker, wide tip POSTER style. It comes off readily with acetone, but seems impervious to most everything else. SOme one asked about where to find a cantle concho, not sure to be honest. I build all my own silver work for my saddles etc, so I have not thought much about where to buy one. Off the top, I guess I would start in Fredricksburg Texas, search out Clint Ormes ( A skilled engraver and smith) he also owns Silver-Rama which sells items ready to engrave. Thats my best guess.

spadebit

Thanks to you all. Yes I know ISO will take the marker off, but I quit drinking that stuff years ago. I am headed for Witchita Falls, Texas. I will be demonstrating for the GRS Company, along with the able Marian Taylor. Be sure to stop by and say hello, we would be glad to meet you.

Latest posts

Sponsors