Can you post a pic of your Bulino hand piece and graver?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone...I am very curious to see what everyone else uses to do their Bulino. Hand piece, graver or something else? :graver:

Donny

The hand piece and my zeiss loupe.

IMG_0082.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Top secret..........are you kidding??? We need clearance from the CIA and NSA to even think about it let alone talk about it :)

I just use the GRS handpiece that I am using at the time which is generally a 901

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the current administrashun dont allow me to do that kind of stuff. you know, sharp, pointy things--dangerous in the wrong hands, ya know !

leo

Elite Cafe Member
Yeap there's your answer Donny it like talking to a field CIA agent and what they do you will never get nothing out of them just ams and ams or if my favorite total silences

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Donny, I doubt forum members and bulino artists are being secretive or coy at least I'm not. The truth is I've used everything from 70-120 degrees and no heel to a 20 degree heel and they all worked when I put the line in the right spot. Over time I'm guessing most people find a geometry they like best. This week I'm using a 110 and 10. Don't know whether that will change by next week. Proper tools and geometries are always important but in bulino the most important part is to know where to put the mark in other words the drawing and art side. Whether the mark is a dot, dash, or line and created by a 70, 90, or 110 is secondary. I believe if you search the archives you will find several threads regarding bulino tools and geometry. I also do most of my bulino by hand push.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Donny, I doubt forum members and bulino artists are being secretive or coy at least I'm not. The truth is I've used everything from 70-120 degrees and no heel to a 20 degree heel and they all worked when I put the line in the right spot. Over time I'm guessing most people find a geometry they like best. This week I'm using a 110 and 10. Don't know whether that will change by next week. Proper tools and geometries are always important but in bulino the most important part is to know where to put the mark in other words the drawing and art side. Whether the mark is a dot, dash, or line and created by a 70, 90, or 110 is secondary. I believe if you search the archives you will find several threads regarding bulino tools and geometry. I also do most of my bulino by hand push and/or power stipple.

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
I'm new and have yet to start or cut my first line... tools on the way!

Bulino appears to me to be very much like pointillism... except instead of using different dot sizes one uses dots and dashes so to speak. Is this a true statement?

I love the look!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've done very little bulino but what little I've done I used a variety of graver points including the Phil Coggan and Dario Cortino Bulino points (Lindsay Templates) as well as various other geometries. Since I don't really know what I'm doing yet either (in bulino) I do what you're doing and take suggestions.

Those gravers were held in my Lindsay Classic, my GRS Monarch, and I think probably even my GRS Magnum as well as unpowered handles. Some cuts made with a bit of power, most made without.

Chris DeCamillus has an excellent DVD on bulino, complete with an uninked casting for study.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will probably be put on the list with Edward snowden but this is one style of mine. This one has no heal. I have found that there are many others. Sam has a diagram for a bolino geometry somewhere on the forum.

I usually use a 901 handpiece except on gold I use the monarch. Much of the time I just don't push on the peddle.

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone!...I wasn't so much asking HOW to do bulino as a whole. I was just trying to stimulate conversation about, and photos of, the various ways others achieve their end results. I think it also helps newer folks to engraving to see the different ways others manipulate or modify tools to get the results that they do.

Like many I've learned to do my Bulino by the hand piece and loupe I started the thread with. I've seen Phil post some wonderful pictures of his results but never his graver or sharpening method...I am a true tool freak! Love tools of every sort :) So I am curious to see how he and others go at this...

I do very thank everyone for their replies ..I learn a lot from the process of others as most do!

Donny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors