Can we get a collection of free to use practice designs for beginners?

jzknives

I just went out and got a printer for doing transfers and only to realize there are almost no designs available to download as images for practicing engraving.

Am I not looking hard enough or is it more that engravers want to protect their designs?

Would it be possible for one of you guys to make a pack of practice designs for honing basic skills available for free use? I don't want to infringe on others work so maybe it would be better to have specifically designed newbie stuff people can download to transfer to practice plates?

leo

Elite Cafe Member
ok if your a member of Steve Lindsay forum hi has a page of pictures that you could download when you enter on your left is going to be an icon that it says engravinglessons.com you click on it and scroll all the way down to the part were there is a lot of web pages and count the number 13 is going to say copy free designs you go there and it explains everything you need to do to copy them and they are copyright free designs
also they are really nice for honing your skills just one advise some of them are way to big to put in a practice plate so you would have to resize them

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also suggest buying some Dover books. Lots of copyright free images there you can scan, copy, resize, and reuse over and over.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
free to all that desire- hundreds of fotos are here on the forum that can serve to inspire your "pencil" to greater heights. look at the more simplified ones to gain an appreciation of the spine, or back bone. after all, this elimentary spiral is the basis for all that follows. a recent post by arnaud shows several fine examples of the spine and how they can interact to produce a really nice design. study these till you're sick of looking at them. then study even more ! notice how smooth & graceful they are. no lumps, bumps. or flat spots. just a graceful "flow". till you can do the spines nicely, tossing in the detail will not help you achieve your goal of producing good overall design. if you heed any advice from this forum, one MUST learn how to draw !

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I have to agree with Monk 100%..... Plus it's the only way you will ever develop your own engraving style. You really can't learn to be an oil and canvas artist by using a "paint by numbers" art kit.

my 2 cents :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors