C-Max - a new carbide graver from GRS

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. C.
I tried the Lava Soap last night on the ceramic and it worked great. Bright as new. Thanks again for the tip.

Sandy

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glad it worked for you Sandy. Try spraying your wheel then swipe a folded tissue across the wheel changing to a clean spot with every swipe (about two swipes maybe three for carbide). It will keep it fairly clean and there will be plenty enough diamond left on the wheel to polish with. It seems that HS tools need a little more left on the wheel than carbide. C-Max needs very little, held in one spot with moderate pressure for a few seconds leaves a mirror finish.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, Lava Soap is a brand of bar hand soap sold here in the states that is used for oily, grundgy, hard to clean hands. I has micro grain pumice in it. There are also some forms that are in a liquid form for the same purpose. Drop me a PM with an address and I will send you a bar or two and some of the liquid form as well. Fred

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John B Have you checked Gesswein's Cat #48? I don't know if it's the latest. It's their tool and die catalog. On page 200 they list various super carbide blanks.
Your comment reminded me. I'm going to give them a call to see what's available. Thanks for the prompt.
Kevin P.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Kevin and Ken.
The blanks I see now from Gesswein are super carbide, micro grain either plain or split ground end in about 90RC as used in pantagraph and duplicating machines.
The smallest size I see listed is 1/8 X 1 1/2 inch round but they are not listed as high impact carbide.
They used to have 1/16" round X 1 1/2 inch long micro grain High Impact carbide blanks that made fine tough gravers when put into a little piece of square brass tube or a center drilled piece of keystock. I don't see them listed any more.
High Impact carbide was the key to a good carbide graver, carbide with some toughness added to the binders as used on interuption cuts in machining.
We are closer to that type of cutting even when using pneumatic assist tools and for sure engraving with H&C.
I would venture a guess that the new C-Max is rated as a micro-grain high impact carbide and that's where it's toughness comes in. Sounds like a winner to me.
And I understand they will/are available pre-shaped, 'bet-r-en sliced bread.

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken, John is 'the man' here.
John knows details about what's to be considered that I never heard of. Good to have him point these things out.

The tool and die catalog is one not generally known.
gesswein.com is their address.
Kevin P.

WhereDidMyHammerGo

A tip for the poor folks like me. I use the 4 1/2" diamond grinding disks from the hardware store to hog material off the c-max's. they are quick, cool, and work really well for cutting long gravers in half. The one I bought cost $15 and I used a piece of rubber tube and a washer to mount it to a tabletop grinder.