Business side-SAVING TIME

rodstan

Evening all.
As a recent recipient of the cervical nerve compression award after 20 plus years of watchmaking and all things micro small I ended up with bilateral inflamation of the brachial plexus and rotor cuffs--couldn't lift my arms above my waist.Ended up taking some 3 1/2 months off , doctor said if it hurts, don't do it, so I didn't.Every one of my clients waited, they are now far more congenial and in some cases paid in advance for a booking fee.
Still have some pain in the left triceps and shoulder, but I take life/work a lot easier now.The down time is what I use for client relationship building(phone calls/chill time). I work out my weekly income needs and divide it into the job(s).This incorporates watchmaking/restoration, engraving, stone setting etc, etc.
I haven't lost a client, they are all far more compliant and I have work in place for the next 6 to 12 months(or as long as I wish to take).
The work of an engraver or any other master craft is an art that can not be replicated in a mechanised world.The client requires a work of high skill level and artistic merit which comes at a price. I advised my clients to try elsewhere during my incapacitation, not one of them swayed.
Down time in the corporate world (previous life) is a definite no-no. In the real world of the self employed artisan it is a time of creativity and reflection, which can only be of benefit to the client, and for those with us with a pain in the neck a great time to smell the daisies.
Life is too short to suffer the intollerances of some,
enjoy the quality time, just double your price!!
Rod

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod,
You're a man after my own heart. I used to do a lot of watch repair at my home shop I specialized in 8 day aircraft clocks since I was in the aircraft business why not create my own niche' right?

I soon had more work just from word of mouth than you could shake a stick at and being self taught I didn't charge enough (my mistake) and found myself looking at that 144 square inches on my bench poising balance assemblies rather than being on my knees in the dirt playing cars with my little boy. So I quit.

When I moved to Georgia I built a shop out back, one end for engraving and the other for watchmaking. I still do both and just got 7 or 8 watches to overhaul in time for Christmas but I don't take time from my kids (10 and 5) to do it anymore. Luckily for the 10 years I did watch repair I suffered no injuries from ergonomics and I'm glad you are able to do what you love also.

It is interesting the various talents and interests we share here. I tried to attach a few pictures of the roughest job I've done so far in restoration work and one of my home away from home. We'll see if they show up here...

Last edited:

rodstan

Hey Tim, think there are about 100 jobs in the inbox at the moment, xmas is way too soon.
Do a few aircraft clocks as well.
Did one for Eddie Kurdziel, grand warbird at Oshcosh? a while back in his Firefly, ex aussie war memorial and rehabilitated to California.
Like the watches, similar to what I do. Tend to do a lot of 17th & 18 century built stuff, more hands on and less repairers about.
The engraving on these early pieces are what I really get into. We kind of don't have that many guns down this way much, and even knives are a bit regulated.Used to to a lot once, long time ago as a dealer and builder.Times change!
Should post some of my 17th c and 18th c watch/ clock engraving pictures, times haven't changed much in the last 300 years.Probably prices haven't changed much at a penny a day!.
Regards from the land down under
Rod

Steece

Hi Yves,

Your thread sent a simple message to me: I need to think in terms of "productive, profitable time" and "profit and productivity eaters". For me it is a simple matter of being more aware of what I am doing with my time. As a result of your comments I realized that I spent a lot of time on the computer checking email, surfing the web and purusing the Engravers Cafe (sorry Sam!) when I should have been on the engraving bench making money. Nothing wrong with working on the computer but now I don't even turn on the computer until I get the engraving work accomplished that I needed to do for the day. Emails can wait! If I need to do some layout on the computer I do it at the end of the day before. It was just to much of a distraction at times.There are lots of productivity eaters like the computer.

For many of us who work in or near our homes it is easy to spend to much time in the shop away from relationships with our families telling them we have to work that much, thinking and proffessing we are working when we spent much of our day in unproductive activities when if we are purposeful about what we do with our day we could be finished and out of the shop with the money we need in a much shorter time.

Simple message for me. I am more purposeful about what I do with my day. Guys, next time your wife and kids get on you about spending to much time in the shop.....before you tell them you have to do this to make a living ....make an honest analysis of whether you really have to be in the shop as much as you are.

I think it was Barry Lee Hands that stated on the FEGA forum that he was taught to be productive by "keeping the graver to the steel". Nothing wrong with taking a break or going at a slower pace...I think the message is just to be honest about how you are spending your time.

Thanks Yves,

STeece

Steece

Hi Scott,

I am the one and only Steece that took your basic class 8 years ago. I am now a self employed hand engraver working for the jewelry trade.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

Hang in there. Surgeons always tell you the down side of things and the risks. It's part of there job. Just imagine if someone described the risks of driving to work.......we would never go to work or get in a car ever again.

All the very best I'm sure you'll come out the other end 100%

Best wishes
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
very good information here, also how much time do you spend because you have to get up and stretch your back, might have to consider the way your set up, fixing that could just eliminate your back problems.

thanks again

Latest posts

Sponsors